Partner, Litigation Department
Chair, Employment Law Practice Group
Member, Alternative Dispute Resolution Practice Group
Mr. Schwartz concentrates in employment law litigation and counseling, primarily for management. He has extensive litigation experience in state and federal courts, before administrative agencies, and in arbitration proceedings and mediation and is a seasoned appellate attorney at the state and federal levels. His experience includes the defense of employment discrimination, whistleblower and wrongful discharge claims of all types; employment policy & handbook drafting and review; and negotiation of employment contracts, non-competition agreements, and restrictive covenants, and related litigation. He is experienced in public sector labor law for management and civil rights litigation defense and has a practice concentration in school law and college and university law. He also has experience in the defense of defamation cases.
- Mr. Schwartz has been extensively involved in representing colleges and universities (including Rutgers University, Fairleigh Dickinson University, state and county colleges, and other educational institutions) and other public entities, private companies and businesses in labor and employment and other matters.
- As a Superior Court Mediator, Mr. Schwartz has mediated numerous cases involving both employment and other disputes.
Professional Activities / Honors
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV® Preeminent.
- Member of the National Association of College and University Attorneys.
- Mediator of the Superior Court of New Jersey.
- Member of the American Bar Association.
- Member of the New Jersey State Bar Association.
- Former Deputy Attorney General for the New Jersey Department of Law and Public Safety, Division of Law, Education and Public Employment Section.
- Past chair, vice chair and member of the New Jersey Supreme Court District X Ethics Committee.
- Former Member of the District X Fee Arbitration Committee.
- Former trustee and former newsletter editor of the Morris County Bar Association.
- Former member of the Supreme Court of New Jersey Ad Hoc Committee on Skills and Methods.
Publications / Articles / Presentations
- Speaker, "Workers’ Compensation and Other 'Employee Time-off' Issues: Employee Rights and Employer Obligations - Controlling Claims, Costs and Risks," Marsh & McLennan Agency and Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP, June 6, 2013.
- Presenter, “Employee or Contractor: Why Does it Matter?” Newark Regional Business Partnership, February 10, 2012.
- Presenter, “Worker Classification: Avoiding Audits,” Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Webinar, April 12, 2011.
- Presenter, “Bed Bugs and Human Resources: A Not-So-Odd Couple,” How to Prevent Bedbugs From Taking a Bite Out of Your Business, Marsh & McLennan Agency; Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP; Bed Bug Central; Beckerman PR; Law Offices of David S. Barmak L.L.C.; ScheinMedia, February 24, 2011.
- Presenter, " Employee Discipline and Discharge," Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Webinar, September 29, 2010.
- Presenter, “The Employee Benefits Toolbox for Health Care Providers: Employment Law, Tax and Insurance Perspectives,” NIA Group, Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP, and WithumSmith+Brown, June 3, 2010.
- Presenter, "Time Off from Work: Family Leave and Related Laws," Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Webinar, February 24, 2010.
- Presenter, “Employment Law,” Middlesex County Bar Association Advanced Mediation Training Workshop, October 3, 2008.
- Presenter, “Lawyering After Ledbetter: Pay Equity Claims in Academe,” National Association of College and University Attorneys Annual Conference, June 22, 2008.
- Presenter, "Discrimination Claims? Wrongful Termination Claims? Investigate. Don’t Retaliate!" Business for Breakfast, Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP, March 1, 2007.
- Presenter, "Employee Handbooks" and "Restrictive Covenants," Business for Breakfast, Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP, June 15, 2006.
- Presenter, “Managing The Employment Relationship,” Lorman Education Services, March 31, 2004.
- Presenter, “When is a Worker an Employee and Why Does It Matter Anyway?” Chimes User Group Conference, April 26, 2002.
- Presenter, "Sexual Harassment Investigations," NJBIZ, June 2001.
- Presenter, “New Jersey Labor and Employment Law,” National Business Institute, Inc., February 11, 1992.
- Presenter, “Complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act in New Jersey,” National Business Institute, Inc., 1991.
- Presenter, “New Jersey Labor and Employment Law,” National Business Institute, Inc., November 7, 1990.
- Co-author, "ABCs of the Paid Family Leave Act," Exhibit A, Winter 2008, Vol. 11 No. 3.
- Author, “Employment Litigation,” in New Jersey Business Litigation, New Jersey Law Journal Books, 2002, Second Edition, 2006.
- Author, "Employer Obligations to Returning Service Members," Exhibit A, Fall 2003.
- Author, "Employment Arbitration Alert," Exhibit A, Fall 2003.
- Co-author, "NJ Law Against Discrimination Goes Beyond the ADA," Exhibit A, Winter 2003.
- Co-author, "Workplace Harassment Not Limited to Sex," Exhibit A, Fall 2001, Vol. 5 No. 4; and Middlesex Advocate, May 2002.
- Co-author, "Retaliation Claims on the Rise," Exhibit A, Winter/Spring 2000, Vol. 4 No. 1.
- Editor, Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Employment Law Client Alerts, 2000-present.
- New Jersey, 1976
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1976
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1983