Partner, Real Estate Department
Member, Condemnation & Eminent Domain Practice Group
Member, Environmental Practice Group
Member, Land Use Practice Group
Member, Redevelopment Practice Group
Mr. Beckelman handles land use, zoning, commercial and civil litigation in Superior Court matters as well as appearances before various boards, governing bodies and agencies, with an emphasis on redevelopment projects, eminent domain, and affordable housing. He also engages in related compliance and transactional work and contract negotiations. His experience also includes civil and commercial litigation, environmental litigation and compliance, code enforcement issues, local government laws, procurements, and municipal court matters.
- Mr. Beckelman played a key role, as a member of the New Jersey Builders Association Redevelopment Committee, in the drafting of an important piece of legislation that was signed into law in September 2013 which seeks to boost economic growth and jumpstart building initiatives by amending New Jersey’s existing redevelopment law. The law seeks to address issues brought to light by recent case law, by amending certain provisions of the Local Redevelopment and Housing Law (LRHL), and to address concerns relating to the use of eminent domain and due process and notice issues. Mr. Beckelman, serving as lead author of the law, worked with fellow Committee members to produce a straight-forward and balanced piece of legislation that would garner support both within and outside of the development community.
- Mr. Beckelman represents developers and property owners in connection with land use and zoning matters and disputes, as well as numerous municipalities as special redevelopment or litigation counsel, as well as representing clients in general commercial and civil litigation matters.
- Mr. Beckelman appeared before the Supreme Court of New Jersey, authoring and filing an amicus brief in the matter of Gallenthin v. Paulsboro, on behalf of the New Jersey League of Municipalities, The New Jersey Chapter of the American Planning Association, and Downtown New Jersey.
- Mr. Beckelman currently serves as special redevelopment and litigation counsel to the City of Long Branch, the City of North Wildwood, the Township of Robbinsville, and the Borough of Flemington and has served as special litigation counsel to the City of New Brunswick and the Borough of Belmar.
- Mr. Beckelman has handled redevelopment counseling and litigation on behalf of developers, property owners or municipalities throughout the State, including, the City of Newark, the City of Trenton, the City of Asbury Park, the Township of Woodbridge, the Borough of Carteret, the Borough of Wood-Ridge, the City of Wildwood, the City of Millville, the Town of West Orange, the Borough of South Bound Brook, the Borough of Netcong, the Borough of Emerson, the Town of Maplewood, Morristown, and Stanhope.
- Mr. Beckelman has also provided counsel or litigation services to special improvement districts throughout the State, including Morristown, Red Bank, Toms River, Livingston, Seaside Heights, Atlantic City, Keyport, Bergenfield, Teaneck, Flemington and East Hanover.
Professional Activities / Honors
- Recipient of the Chairman's Awards from the New Jersey Builders Association for his exemplary service on the Association's Redevelopment Committee (2012).
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the Real Estate Law practice area 2013, 2014.
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers - Rising Stars Edition in the Land Use and Zoning category 2008, 2009 and 2010.
- Member of the Board of Directors of PlanSmart NJ.
- Mediator for Middlesex County Chancery Division.
- Member of the Middlesex County Bar Association.
- Member of the Mercer County Bar Association.
- Participant in legislative, lobbying, education, and business activities with the New Jersey Builders Association, PlanSmart NJ, the Shore Builders Association of Central New Jersey, and New Jersey Future.
- Former summer intern to the Honorable John J. Hughes, U.S. Magistrate Judge, District of New Jersey.
- Lecturer for Rutgers Law School-Newark, Redevelopment Course.
- In law school, Mr. Beckelman was Chair of the Moot Court Board and a member of the Rutgers Law Record.
Publications / Articles / Presentations
- Author, "Appellate Division Upholds Trial Court in Affordable Housing Variance Dispute," Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, November 2013.
- Panelist, “Rezone, Rehabilitate or Redevelop?” New Jersey Redevelopment Authority Redevelopment Planning Law conference, October 16, 2013.
- Author, "NJ Supreme Court Rejects COAH Regulations; Sets 5 Month Deadline for New Affordable Housing Rules," Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, September 2013.
- Author, "Governor Christie Signs Important Redevelopment Bill Into Law," Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, September 2013.
- Co-Author, “NJBA-Backed Legislation Could Facilitate Post-Sandy Rebuilding Efforts By Amending Existing NJ Redevelopment Law (S2447),” Cutting Edge, New Jersey Builders Association, June 2013.
- Panelist, "New Jersey Land Laws," HalfMoon Seminars, December 13, 2012.
- Presenter, "Redeveloper Selection and Redevelopment Agreements," Redevelopment Training Institute, October 24, 2012.
- Panelist, "New Jersey Civil Engineering and Surveying Land Law," HalfMoon LLC, June 2011.
- Participant, panel discussion on eminent domain use and abuse in New Jersey, Rutgers Law School-Newark Environmental Law Society, April 2011.
- Co-Author, "What Will Happen to Redevelopment In New Jersey When the Economy Recovers?" Rutgers Law Record, Fall 2009.
- Presenter, "Impact and Opportunities: The New Jersey Economic Stimulus Act of 2009," Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Webinar, June 2009.
- Author, "Is Redevelopment Alive after Gallenthin?", Exhibit A, Spring 2008: Vol 12, No. 2.
- Author, "Supreme Court Upholds Power of Eminent Domain for Economic Redevelopment Purposes," Exhibit A, Winter 2006: Vol. 10, No. 1.
- Co-author, "New NRD Legislation Offers Protection for Developers and Redevelopers of Brownfields," Exhibit A, April 2005: Special ABC Edition.
- Co-author, "Is The Kelo Decision Really Good News For New Jersey," Dimensions, newsletter of the New Jersey Builders Association, September 2, 2005.
- Co-author, "Amendments to Brownfields and Contaminated Site Remediation Act Offers Protection," Dimensions, newsletter of the New Jersey Builders Association, December 22, 2004.
- Lectures on redevelopment, condemnation and land use issues.
- Lecturer for Institute of Continuing Legal Education.
- Lecturer for Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy- Center for Government Services.
- New Jersey, 2000
- Supreme Court of New Jersey, 2000
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 2000