Partner, Litigation Department
Chair, Corporate & International Human Rights Compliance Practice Group
Chair, White Collar Defense Practice Group
- Litigation, internal investigations, white collar criminal defense.
- Mr. Brown has appeared in high profile trials such as the nine-month trial involving former Labor Secretary Raymond J. Donovan and the successful eight year defense of senior executives of a major multinational corporation charged with environmental violations. Mr. Brown has appeared in courts in 12 states and conducted investigations throughout the US as well as in Kenya, El Salvador, the Cayman Islands, Switzerland, the Bahamas, Colombia, and Sierra Leone.
- Mr. Brown also has significant international experience qualifying as Counsel before the International Criminal Court in the Hague, and having served as Co-Lead Defense Counsel at the Special Court for Sierra Leone.
Professional Activities / Honors
- Host of the Emmy Award winning New Jersey Network Program "Due Process.”
- Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America and a 2014 recipient of its Peter Perlman Service Award
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers.
- Fellow of the American Board of Criminal Lawyers.
- Past president of the Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey.
- Former member of the Board of Directors of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
- Member of the New Jersey State Bar Association Task Force on Judicial Independence.
- Trustee of the Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey.
- Selected as Best Lawyers' 2013 Woodbridge "Lawyer of the Year" in Criminal Defense: Non-White-Collar.
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America since 1989 in the Corporate Governance and Compliance Law, Criminal Defense: Non-White-Collar, and Criminal Defense: White-Collar practice areas.
- Listed in New Jersey Super Lawyers in the Criminal Defense: White Collar category.
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV® Preeminent.
- Taught International Criminal Law in the Seton Hall/American University Program at Cairo, Egypt and at Seton Hall University’s School of Diplomacy and International Relations.
- In addition to teaching International Criminal Law at Seton Hall University School of Law where he is a Visiting Professor and Research Scholar, he has taught Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure and Professional Responsibility.
Publications / Articles / Presentations
- Author, "The Civil Rights Movement's Early Embrace of Human Rights," New Jersey Lawyer magazine, February 2014.
- Moderator, "International Human Rights & Business Law: What In-House Legal Departments Can't Afford Not to Know," New Jersey Corporate Counsel Association All Day Conference, September 20, 2013.
- Co-author, "Effective Compliance and Ethics Programs for Small to Medium Size Companies: Critical Questions and Key Issues to Consider," Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, June 2013.
- Moderator/Panelist, “Court Rules Update”; Moderator, “Justice at Stake”; and Moderator/Panelist, “Marketing and Ethics: Maximizing Results While Avoiding Liability,” New Jersey State Bar Association’s Annual Meeting, May 15-17, 2013.
- Presenter, “Reclaiming Our Nobel Profession,” Seton Hall Law School Rodino Ethics Lecture Series, April 8, 2013.
- Author, “Kiobel v. Royal Dutch Petroleum: Supreme Court Issues Murky Opinion That May Ironically Clear Some Waters,” Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, April 2013.
- Panelist, "Emancipation and Affirmative Action: Is There Room for Both?" Middlesex County Bar Association Civil Rights Symposium, February 20, 2013.
- Keynote Speaker, 16th Annual Franklin Township Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Breakfast, January 21, 2013.
- Speaker, "Persuading Jurors to Vote for Your Side," NJICLE, November 30, 2012.
- Speaker at “Best Practices From the DiversityInc Top 50" corporate diversity event in New York City in April 24-25, 2012. A video clip of Mr. Brown's presentation, "Diversity Management & Global Human Rights: Should Your Company Get Involved?," can be accessed here.
- Featured in the article, "Diversity & Inclusion: Why This Attorney Makes Global Human Rights His Personal Challenge," DiversityInc.com, May 2012.
- Speaker,” Marketing and Ethics: Maximizing Results While Avoiding Liability,” New Jersey State Bar Association Annual Meeting, May 16, 2012.
- Speaker, “Saving the Innocent: The Last Resort Exoneration Project,” New Jersey State Bar Association Annual Meeting, May 16, 2012.
- Interview on Due Process: "The 9-11 Commission Chairs in Candid Conversation: Former Governor Tom Kean (Commission Chair) and Former Congressman Lee Hamilton (Vice Chair)," January 2012.
- Author, "Taking Risks for Your Brothers: The Power of Dr. King’s Words," DiversityInc.com, January 2012.
- Author, “Apple (Pie), Cotton Comfort and Hershey's Kisses: S'More on International Human Rights Due Diligence,” New Jersey Corporate Counsel Association Newsletter, August 5, 2011.
- Author, “DC Court of Appeals Reinstates Alien Tort Statute (ATS) Claims Against Exxon Mobil for Complicity in Extraterritorial Acts Raising Policy Considerations for Multinationals,” Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, July 2011.
- Author, "Assisting Business Leaders in Meeting the 'Corporate Responsibility to Respect Human Rights',” July 5, 2011.
- Author, "BP Executives' Human-Rights Miscalculation: Have They Bet the Company?" DiversityInc.com, July 2010.
- Quoted in the article, "Will New Bashir Charges Make Arrest More Likely?" that appeared on the Institute for War & Peace Reporting's website on July 16, 2010.
- Featured in the article,"Bearing Witness," that appeared in Super Lawyers - New Jersey Edition magazine, April 2009.
Author, "When the Government Knocks," Biz India, May/June 2007.
- Author of the chapter, "Client Relations in White Collar Crime Investigations," in the Inside the Minds's series book White Collar Law Client Strategies (Aspatore, 2007).
- Co-Author, "A Non-Toxic Ounce of Prevention: Notes on Handling Enron-era Environmental Investigations," New Jersey Law Journal, December 4, 2006.
- New Jersey, 1974
- New York, 1983
- Special Court for Sierra Leone, 2004