Partner, Litigation Department
Member, Bankruptcy & Reorganization Practice Group
Member, Community Association Practice Group
Member, Construction Practice Group
Member, Real Estate Brokerage Practice Group
Mr. Barreiro’s practice focuses in business litigation with a particular emphasis in Chancery (Equity) matters, partnership disputes, employment litigation, real estate litigation, construction litigation, international litigation, and professional liability litigation (plaintiff and defendant). Mr. Barreiro also represents litigation clients in bankruptcy court in various matters.
Mr. Barreiro has extensive experience with the IRS’s Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program and assists clients voluntarily coming forward to report their previously undisclosed foreign accounts and assets.
- In a franchise dispute involving a national restaurant chain, he persuaded the Court to enter a restraining order against the adversary which ultimately led to a very favorable settlement.
- Successfully arbitrated (AAA arbitration before the Hon. Murray Brochin, Ret.) and thereafter obtained a judgment of $300,000 on behalf of seller against buyer of a trucking company that failed to pay a note in connection with Asset Purchase Agreement, where it was alleged that the seller had made fraudulent representations concerning the business.
- Obtained favorable settlement of fraudulent conveyance claims in excess of $700,000 filed in the United States District Court, District of New Jersey concerning an international contract dispute.
- Obtained no cause verdict after full trial in the Superior Court, Essex County in defense of a tortious interference / breach of loyalty claim against a business that hired a sales person who allegedly stole a price list from her prior employer.
- Assisted in processing of a Ch. 11 Bankruptcy for Kara Homes, Inc., involving numerous real estate projects and debt exceeding $175,000,000.
- Obtained favorable settlement in an accountant malpractice matter with claims in excess of $1,500,000 on the first day of trial in the Superior Court, Morris County, and a successful settlement of a related fraud claim filed in the New York Supreme Court, Suffolk County after three days of trial.
- Successfully arbitrated (private arbitration before the Hon. Jack Boyle, Ret.) an international dispute involving claims in excess of $10,000,000 concerning the distribution of international television programming.
- Successfully petitioned (with Arthur Greenbaum) the New Jersey Real Estate Commission and obtained reinstatement of a real estate agent’s license that previously had been revoked for life.
Professional Activities / Honors
- Chair of the Chancery Practice Committee of the Middlesex County Bar Association.
- Listed in Super Lawyers - Rising Stars Edition in the Business Litigation practice area (2010, 2011).
- Member of the Association of the Federal Bar for the State of New Jersey.
- Member of the Middlesex County and New Jersey State Bar Associations.
- Member of the Trial Attorneys of New Jersey.
- Member of the American Association for Justice.
- Member of the Monmouth Ocean Development Council (MODC).
- Prior to joining the firm, he served as law clerk to the Honorable Jack L. Lintner in the Superior Court of New Jersey, Chancery Division, Middlesex County.
- New Jersey, 1999
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1999