Partner, Litigation Department
Mr. Salvagno concentrates his practice in business litigation, real estate litigation, chancery practice, and appellate practice in the federal and state courts. He has handled a broad range of litigated matters on behalf of corporate, partnership, and individual clients, including breach of contract cases, corporate and partnership disputes, business torts, contested trust and estate matters, and professional liability matters.
- With Alan S. Naar, Mr. Salvagno successfully represented Marty Richards, Broadway and film producer, in intensively-contested litigation before the New Jersey trial court, Appellate Division, and Supreme Court, each of which held that Mr. Richards, as a surviving spouse of Mary Lea Johnson Richards, one of J. Seward Johnson, Sr.’s children listed in a 1961 Charitable Lead Trust, is a beneficiary of the Trust entitled to receive distributions from the Trustees of the Trust. The Trust had a value at the time of the trial of approximately $300 to $350 million. The Appellate Division’s opinion is reported at 399 N.J. Super. 237 (App. Div. 2006), and the Supreme Court’s opinion is reported at 194 N.J. 276 (2008).
- With William D. Grand, Mr. Salvagno successfully defended a Top 25 accounting firm against claims of professional malpractice. The Appellate Division’s opinion affirming the trial court’s dismissal of the plaintiffs’ complaint is reported at 2009 WL 465564 (N.J. App. Div. 2009).
- Mr. Salvagno successfully represented the owner of 25 percent interests in several related small businesses in a lawsuit against the principal owners of the businesses, alleging, among other causes of action, violations of the Oppressed Shareholder Statute, N.J.S.A. 14A:12-7.
- Mr. Salvagno successfully represented an accounting firm against a former employee accountant, in a suit alleging breach of the duty of loyalty, unfair competition, theft of confidential information, and violations of the New Jersey Computer-Related Offenses Act, N.J.S.A. 2A:38A-3.
- Mr. Salvagno negotiated a favorable settlement on behalf of a registered home improvement contractor of an action involving Consumer Fraud Act claims.
Professional Activities / Honors
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV® Preeminent.
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers - Rising Stars Edition in the Business Litigation practice area (2010, 2011 and 2012).
- Member of the Association of the Federal Bar of the State of New Jersey.
- Member of the New Jersey State Bar Association.
- Member of the Middlesex County Bar Association.
- Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Salvagno served as principal law clerk to the Honorable Edward W. Beglin, Jr., Assignment and Presiding (Civil) Judge of the New Jersey Superior Court, during the 1998-99 court term.
- While attending law school, he served as articles editor of the Seton Hall Legislative Journal.
Publications / Articles / Presentations
- Presenter, "Settlement of Lawsuits - The Pitfalls That Can Be Encountered and How To Avoid Them," Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Continuing Legal Education Seminar, December 2010.
- Author, "Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit Holds that Computer Fraud and Abuse Act Provides for Civil Remedies," Middlesex Advocate, January 2007 and Exhibit A, Fall 2006, Vol. 10 No. 2.
- New Jersey, 1998
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 2003