I find my passion for creative writing to be invaluable, not only in presenting complicated issues to advance a case, but also in fashioning creative solutions in complex litigation.
Mr. Spiller's practice focuses on commercial general liability insurance coverage and litigation involving environmental, construction defect, and professional liability claims. He has litigated claims arising under primary and excess policies, warranty based policies, professional liability policies, first party property polices, employment related practices insurance policies, and brownfields insurance policies.
Mr. Spiller has represented major developers, builders and general contractors in matters related to insurance coverage for construction defect claims. He has also represented insurance carriers, primarily in the area of environmental coverage and CERCLA claims, and including numerous complex environmental coverage matters involving claims in excess of $100 million.
Mr. Spiller’s litigation experience includes the representation of small and mid-sized companies in complex commercial litigation related to minority shareholder disputes, contract claims, employment matters, and banking litigation.
Honors & Awards
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the Insurance Law practice area (2010 – present)
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV® Preeminent
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association, Environmental Law Section
- Member, Middlesex County Bar Association
More Activities & Experience
- Member, American Bar Association
- Published his first book of poetry, Scalding Heart, which was awarded the 2006 American Book Award for poetry, and completed his screenplay, The Gate. As an undergraduate student, Mr. Spiller authored and directed a documentary film on poets in New Jersey featuring William Carlos Williams and his poem Paterson.
Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 1982
Rutgers University, B.A., 1976
- New Jersey, 1982
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1982
- U.S. District Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1982
- Former law clerk to The Honorable Edwin Stern, Appellate Division, Superior Court of New Jersey