The most important service I can provide to a client is to help them reach the ‘finish line’ in a timely and cost-effective way. I often see my role as not just a legal consultant, but also as a member of a team with a common goal.
Mr. Beckelman focuses his practice in redevelopment, land use and zoning, eminent domain, affordable housing and related litigation. He represents developers and property owners in connection with land use and zoning matters and disputes, and also represents numerous New Jersey municipalities as special redevelopment or litigation counsel.
Mr. Beckelman’s transactional work includes the drafting and negotiation of contracts, developer and tax abatement agreements, and the preparation of redevelopment reports, plans and public documents. He advises clients on statutory and regulatory compliance issues related to redevelopment projects, municipal governance, state agency reviews and approvals, and affordable housing requirements.
Mr. Beckelman regularly appears in New Jersey Superior Court in land use, zoning, condemnation, commercial and civil litigation matters. He represents clients in appearances before various boards, governing bodies and agencies. His experience also encompasses environmental litigation and compliance, code enforcement issues, local government laws, procurements, public bidding and contracts, elections and lobbying laws, Tidelands and CAFRA issues, and municipal court matters.
Honors & Awards
- Recipient of the Chairman's Award from the New Jersey Builders Association for his exemplary service on the NJBA's Redevelopment Committee (2012)
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the Real Estate Law practice area (2013 - present)
- Selected for inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers as a Rising Star (2008-2010)
- Mr. Beckelman currently serves as special redevelopment and litigation counsel to the City of Long Branch, the City of North Wildwood, the Township of Robbinsville, and the Borough of Flemington. He has also served as special litigation counsel to the City of New Brunswick and the Borough of Belmar.
- Mr. Beckelman has handled redevelopment counseling and litigation on behalf of developers, property owners or municipalities throughout New Jersey, including Newark, Trenton, Asbury Park, Woodbridge Township, Carteret, Wood-Ridge, Wildwood, the Millville, West Orange, South Bound Brook, Netcong, Emerson, Maplewood, Morristown, and Stanhope.
- Mr. Beckelman has also provided counsel or litigation services to special improvement districts throughout New Jersey, including Morristown, Red Bank, Toms River, Livingston, Seaside Heights, Atlantic City, Keyport, Bergenfield, Teaneck, Flemington and East Hanover.
- Mr. Beckelman appeared before the Supreme Court of New Jersey, authoring and filing an amicus brief in the matter of Gallenthin v. Paulsboro on behalf of the New Jersey League of Municipalities, The New Jersey Chapter of the American Planning Association, and Downtown New Jersey.
- As a member of the New Jersey Builders Association Redevelopment Committee, Mr. Beckelman played a key role in the drafting of an important piece of legislation that was signed into law in September 2013. The new law amended certain provisions of New Jersey’s Local Redevelopment and Housing Law (LRHL) in an effort to boost economic growth and jumpstart building initiatives by addressing issues brought to light by recent case law relating to the use of eminent domain and due process and notice issues. Mr. Beckelman, serving as lead author of the law, worked with his fellow Committee members to produce a straight-forward and balanced piece of legislation that successfully garnered support both within and outside of the development community.
- Member, Board of Directors of PlanSmart NJ
- Member, Middlesex County Bar Association; Mediator for Chancery Division
- Member, Mercer County Bar Association
More Activities & Experience
- Former judicial intern to The Honorable John J. Hughes, U.S. Magistrate Judge, District of New Jersey
- While in law school, Chair of the Moot Court Board and a member of the Rutgers Law Record
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, Eminent Domain and Condemnation LawSponsor: HalfMoon Education Inc., December 13, 2013
- Panelist, Rezone, Rehabilitate or Redevelop?Sponsor: New Jersey Redevelopment Authority Redevelopment Planning Law Conference, October 2013
- Panelist, New Jersey Land LawsSponsor: HalfMoon Education Inc., December 2012
- Presenter, Redeveloper Selection and Redevelopment AgreementsSponsor: Redevelopment Training Institute, October 2012
- Panelist, New Jersey Civil Engineering and Surveying Land LawSponsor: HalfMoon Education Inc., June 5, 2011
- Panelist, Eminent Domain Use and Abuse in New JerseySponsor: Rutgers Law School-Newark Environmental Law Society, April 2011
- Sponsor: Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Webinar, June 2009
- Guest lecturer on redevelopment lawSponsor: Rutgers School of Law-Newark
- Guest Lecturer, Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy – Center for Government ServicesSponsor: Rutgers University
Publications & Alerts
- Co-Author, Make New Friends … But Keep the Old: Important Perspective on New Jersey’s Economic Opportunity Act of 2013New Jersey Builders Association, March 2014
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, November 2013
- Author, NJ Supreme Court Rejects COAH Regulations; Sets 5 Month Deadline for New Affordable Housing RulesGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, September 2, 2013
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, September 2013
- Co-Author, NJBA-Backed Legislation Could Facilitate Post-Sandy Rebuilding Efforts By Amending Existing NJ Redevelopment Law (S2447)Cutting Edge, newsletter of the New Jersey Builders Association, June 2013
- Rutgers Law Record, Fall 2009
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, August 2009
- Dimensions, newletter of the New Jersey Builders Association, August 2009
- Author, Is Redevelopment Alive After Gallenthin?Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, April 2008
- Author, Supreme Court Upholds Power of Eminent Domain for Economic Redevelopment PurposesGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, December 2006
- Co-Author, Is The Kelo Decision Really Good News For New JerseyDimensions, newsletter of the New Jersey Builders Association, September 2005
- Co-Author, New NRD Legislation Offers Protection for Developers and Redevelopers of BrownfieldsGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, April 2005
- Co-Author, Amendments to Brownfields and Contaminated Site Remediation Act Offers ProtectionDimensions, newsletter of the New Jersey Builders Association, December 2004
- August 18, 2014
- September 6, 2013
- March 19, 2013
- January 18, 2013
- Recognizes 43 Attorneys in Respective Practice AreasSeptember 8, 2012
- July 2, 2012
- April 26, 2012
- April 12, 2012
- May 3, 2010
- August 6, 2008
- Gallenthin Realty Development, Inc. v. Borough of Paulsboro (A-51-2006)June 15, 2007
- March 24, 2005
Rutgers University School of Law-Newark, J.D., 2000
Rutgers University, B.A. high honors, 1997
- New Jersey, 2000
- Supreme Court of New Jersey, 2000
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 2000