I was twelve when I realized I would never play in the NBA, and turned my sights to being a lawyer. Practicing law in New Jersey was the logical progression, since this has always been my home and the options here are plentiful. Each day, I transition between working with large institutional clients and small local businesses, which means, sometimes quite literally, that my focus changes on an hourly basis!
Mr. Flanagan concentrates his practice in commercial litigation, including substantial work in all aspects of civil litigation pre-trial, trial, equity and appellate practice. His experience is focused in the area of banking and creditors’ rights, and also encompasses construction matters, minority shareholder disputes, landlord-tenant disputes, employment issues and white collar criminal defense. Mr. Flanagan represents clients in debt collection matters for both consumer and commercial debts, including a large number of condominium homeowner associations.
Honors & Awards
- Listed in Super Lawyers - New Jersey Rising Stars (a Thompson Reuters business) in the Business Litigation practice area (2013)
- Member of the Order of the Coif, Seton Hall University School of Law
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found HERE. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Mr. Flanagan played a supporting role in the win of a significant jury trial on behalf of our client, a major banking and financial institution that filed suit against a borrower and personal guarantors on a $2 million Small Business Administration Note. The borrower and guarantors filed a counterclaim based upon theories of Lender Liability, Breach of the Duty of Good Faith and Fair Dealing, Breach of Fiduciary Duty and Breach of Contract. After both parties rested, the trial judge entered a directed verdict in favor of our client on its affirmative claims. Following this ruling, only defendants' Lender Liability and Breach of the Duty of Good Faith and Fair Dealing counts remained for the jury's determination. The jury returned with a verdict in favor of our client on both of these counts, finding that defendants failed to prove either count by a preponderance of the evidence. The firm's successful efforts in this case represent a complete victory and the entry of a judgment in the amount of $2,283,423.70 in favor of our client.
- Member, Community Associations Institute - New Jersey Chapter; Vice Chair, Business Partner Committee
- Member, Middlesex County Bar Association
- Member, Trial Attorneys of New Jersey
More Activities & Experience
- Member, Phi Sigma Kappa, Nu Chapter, Alumni Association; former Board of Directors
- Former judicial intern to The Honorable Kenneth MacKenzie, Superior Court of New Jersey, Chancery Division
- Associate Editor, Seton Hall Law Review (2007-2008)
- Interscholastic Moot Court Team Coach at Seton University School of Law (2009 – 2011)
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, Condominium LawSponsor: New Jersey State Bar Foundation, March 22, 2017
- Sponsor: Supreme-Metro Corp., October 13, 2016
- Speaker, Managers Leadership WorkshopSponsor: Community Associations Institute New Jersey Chapter, September 7, 2016
- Speaker, Collection Law From Start to FinishSponsor: NBI Seminars, August 11, 2016
Publications & Alerts
- Co-Author, Recent Appellate Division Decision Expands Private Party Remedies Under New Jersey Spill Act and Demonstrates Condominium Owners’ Potential for Environmental LiabilityApril 1, 2017
- Author, New Jersey Bankruptcy Court Issues Ruling Regarding Condominium Association Liens in Chapter 13 ProceedingsCommunity Trends, August 2015
- Author, New Jersey Bankruptcy Court Issues Ruling Regarding Condominium Association Liens in Chapter 13 ProceedingsGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, June 2015
Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2008
Lehigh University, B.S., 2005
- New Jersey, 2008
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 2008
- New York, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 2016
- Former law clerk to The Honorable Marie P. Simonelli, J.A.D., Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division