I’ve always been drawn to the notion of defending the underdog, and believe that my success as a criminal defense lawyer stems largely from my willingness to challenge (and hopefully defy) the odds on behalf of my clients. In my line of work, it’s essential to project confidence when you’re positioned between an accused individual and the state or federal government.
Mr. Adams concentrates his practice in the areas of criminal defense, internal investigations, attorney ethics matters and disciplinary proceedings, and complex commercial litigation. With a national practice that has encompassed the representation of high profile individuals, Mr. Adams has served as counsel to professional athletes, elected officials and candidates for public office, political campaigns, and numerous public and private business entities.
In the healthcare sector, Mr. Adams has successfully defended physicians charged with crimes in federal and state court, as well as in front of the Board of Medical Examiners (BME). He has negotiated the relicensure of physicians whose licenses were revoked by the BME and assisted in the development of re-entry plans in conjunction with the BME and the Office of the Attorney General. In addition, he has defended physicians in Medicare debarment proceedings and negotiated their re-entry into the Medicare program.
With a demonstrated track record of success in taking on difficult matters, Mr. Adams has tried cases in state and federal courts throughout the country. His experience includes appearances before the U.S. District Courts for the District of New Jersey, Northern District of California, Middle District of Florida, Northern District of Illinois, District of South Dakota, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. He has argued significant matters before the New Jersey Supreme Court and Appellate Division, and before other state courts including those in Florida and Alabama.
Honors & Awards
- Recipient of the Professional Lawyer of the Year Award from the Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the New Jersey Commission on Professionalism in the Law (2017)
- Listed in New Jersey Super Lawyers (a Thompon Reuters business) in the Criminal Defense and Criminal Defense: White Collar practice areas (2012 – present)
- Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rated AV® Preeminent (a trademark of Internet Brands, Inc.) (2010 - present)
- Included by the New Jersey Law Journal (a publication of ALM Media Properties, LLC) on its 2007 "40 Under 40" list (now "New Leaders of the Bar")
- Recipient of the New Jersey Bar Association’s Young Lawyer Professional Achievement Award (2006)
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found HERE. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Representation of a New Jersey contractor charged with theft by deception related to work performed by defendant’s company following Superstorm Sandy.
Ongoing representation of one of the country’s leading installers of artificial turf in numerous matters, including regulatory investigations, bid challenges and litigation with competitors.
Representation of an international hospitality company in a federal criminal investigation involving various individuals within the company.
Representation of the principal of a privately held company in the construction and demolition industry who is the target of a federal criminal investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice.
Representation of the Board of Education president of a New Jersey municipality, who is the focus of federal and state investigations surrounding his actions as a public official.
Representation of a defendant charged by the State of New Jersey with criminal possession of numerous assault weapons.
- Trustee, Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey; past President (2016-2017)
- Member, Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member, Monmouth County Bar Association
- Former member, New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Model Criminal Jury Charges
- Former member, New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Jury Selection in Civil and Criminal Trials
- Former member, New Jersey Chief Justice's Joint Committee on Criminal Justice
- Former member, New Jersey Office of Attorney Ethics District V-C Ethics Committee
More Activities & Experience
- Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, American Bar Association
- Mr. Adams is the former general counsel of a private corporation operating in a highly regulated industry
- While attending law school, Mr. Adams served as President of the Seton Hall Law Student Bar Association
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Sponsor: New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, November 23, 2020
- Sponsor: Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP, NJ Hospital Association, NJ Healthcare Financial Management Association, Medical Society of NJ, and NJ Dental Association, July 1, 2020
- Speaker, Employment Law and the Federal CourtSponsor: New Jersey State Bar Association 2020 Annual Meeting and Convention, May 14, 2020
- Panelist, The Nuts and Bolts of Federal Practice: Everything You Need To Know To Handle Federal Matters With ConfidenceSponsor: New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, November 4, 2019
- Sponsor: New Jersey State Bar Association Federal Practice and Procedure Section, October 15, 2019
Publications & Alerts
- Author, Public Officials and Courts Acknowledge COVID-19 Risks for Incarcerated Individuals; Prisoners Seek Bail, Compassionate Release, Medical Furloughs, and Early ParoleGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, April 17, 2020
- Author, Governor Murphy Signs Executive Order 124 Releasing Certain Low-Level State Prison Inmates to Curtail Spread of COVID-19Greenbaum, Rowe Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, April 13, 2020
- Quoted, After 3rd Circuit Setback, Defense Lawyers Look for New Path for COVID-19 Compassionate ReleaseNew Jersey Law Journal, April 6, 2020
- New Jersey Law Journal, April 2, 2020
- Author, A Deeper Dive: Definitions and Consequences of "Price Gouging" During COVID-19 in NJ and the Greater Tri-State AreaGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, March 31, 2020
- Author, New Jersey Supreme Court Takes Unprecedented Action of Releasing Inmates from County Jails in Response to COVID-19 CrisisGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, March 25, 2020
- Featured, Taking a Risk in Law: The Keys Behind StartingYour Own Firm and MarkingYour Legal FootprintLawyer Monthly, September 2017
Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 1998
University of West Virginia, B.A. cum laude, 1995
- New Jersey, 1999
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1999
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1999