Quality representation starts with listening and continues with communication. The insight a client brings to a matter is essential in developing and implementing a strategy for success in a transaction.
Mr. Hague concentrates his practice in land use, real estate and business law. His practice encompasses the representation of community associations. He has extensive experience handling all aspects of municipal land use law, including applications, appearances before planning boards, transactions involving environmental issues, redevelopment agreements with New Jersey municipalities, affordable housing issues, transportation issues, and the evaluation of land use requirements for alternative energy installations. Mr. Hague has particular knowledge related to land title issues and railroad title. He is also highly experienced in real estate sales, leases, financing and construction contracts.
- Closed in mid-2017 on the acquisition of the real estate for a automobile dealership in Wall Township. The dealership purchase took place simultaneously. Consideration for the land, acquired by two entities, was $4,250,000, financed by a $4,250,000 loan from Ally Capital. The transaction involved collaboration with the firm's Corporate Department on the dealership purchase and entity formation, environmental due diligence handled by the firm's Environmental Department, the evaluation of expansion potential as well as the current use from a land use perspective, and financing and title issues.
- Handled three site plan approvals on redevelopment projects over the course of 2017. Significant was a mixed use development in Linden for new construction on a blighted site predominantly owned by the City, with 113 residential apartments and 18,000 square feet of of ground floor retail and restaurant space. Amendments to the redevelopment plan were obtained from the City Council and redevelopment agreements were negotiated by the firm's team.
- Mr. Hague was a member of the firm's team that advised an international Fortune 500 retailer with regard to millions of square feet of development in various locales, including redevelopment areas, tax abatement (PILOT) agreements, environmental remediation, redevelopment plans, state, regional, county and local approvals, zoning permits and certifications, miscellaneous agreements, construction permitting, and assisted in drafting leasing provisions.
- Throughout 2015, represented the New Jersey Institute of Technology before the City of Newark Central Planning Board in connection with three major campus improvements: a new parking garage, an addition to the Health Sciences academic building, and the new Wellness and Events Center.
- Played a supporting role in an Appellate Division victory for our client, a leading real estate developer, paving the way for the client to advance a major project to clean up and develop a former industrial factory site in central NJ. The project was opposed by a neighboring supermarket chain which brought a prerogative writ action in Superior Court to block the project in order to prevent a competing retailer from moving in and competing. The client had obtained a rezoning of the land to accommodate the project, and the plaintiff argued at trial that the zoning ordinance was invalid under the Municipal Land Use Law. The client prevailed at trial, and in the first appeal, the Appellate Division reversed the judgment of the Law Division due to a technical defect in the City's notice, but wrote approvingly, without explicitly affirming, as to the substantive findings made by the trial court. After the City readopted the ordinance, curing its notice defect, the plaintiff challenged the ordinance again, claiming that it was entitled to whole new trial on the merits and to assert new claims, arguing that the prior language of the Appellate Division was mere dicta and non-binding. The Appellate Division affirmed dismissal of the second lawsuit on the grounds of res judicata and collateral estoppel, allowing the project to proceed.
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association; Land Use Section
- Member, New Jersey Association of Railroad Passengers
- Member, Morris County Economic Development Corporation Housing Committee
- Has served as a member of the Planning Board of the Borough of Chatham and as attorney for the Planning Board of the Borough of Kinnelon
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Panelist, Collections and EvictionsSponsor: New Jersey Annual Condo, HOA, Co-op and Apartment Management Expo, May 7, 2014
- Faculty, Real Estate Development from Beginning to End in New Jersey – Construction FinancingSponsor: Lorman Educational Services Seminar, September 2008
- Faculty, The Development Approval Process in New Jersey – RedevelopmentSponsor: Lorman Educational Services Seminar, June 2008
- Faculty, Representing Parties in Multiple Unit and Mixed Use Property TransactionsSponsor: NJICLE, March 2008
- Faculty, The Development Approval Process in New JerseySponsor: Lorman Educational Services, 2006 - 2007
- Faculty, Real Estate Development from Beginning to End in New JerseySponsor: Lorman Educational Services Seminar, September 12, 2007
Publications & Alerts
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP 2018 Real Estate Update: Trending Issues & Topics of Interest, February 2018
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, February 2018
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, March 2017
- Co-Author, New Jersey Supreme Court Expands Municipal Affordable Housing Obligation in Latest RulingGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, January 2017
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, March 2016
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, March 2015
- Author, New Jersey Supreme Court Allows Limits on Common Interest Community Unit Owners’ Free Speech Rights With Respect to Electioneering and Other Internal CommunicationsGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, December 2014
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, April 13, 2013
- Contributing Author, Commercial Real Estate Transactions in New Jersey: Volume I and II – Chapter 6; Environmental IssuesNew Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 3rd Edition, 2010
University of Denver, College of Law, J.D., 1976
Lafayette College, A.B. in History, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 1974
- Colorado, 1977
- New Jersey, 1978