Successful negotiation and advocacy is defined by more than an end result that yields so-called “winners and losers.” To achieve the best resolution, it is critical to understand the importance of not negotiating from the bottom line, but instead considering the big picture by effectively assessing the needs, goals, and common purpose of all involved parties. To that end, communication is key.
Mr. Chavez concentrates his practice in trademark matters, bankruptcy, and general commercial litigation. His experience includes assisting in the firm’s representation of clients in trademark applications, trademark enforcement and brand protection matters. His work includes conducting trademark searches, preparing trademark opinion letters, filing U.S. trademark applications and renewals with the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO), assisting in the transfer of ownership of intellectual property, and responding to office action letters. Mr. Chavez provides support to clients to help advance their interests and achieve their business goals.
In the business and insolvency contexts, Mr. Chavez has assisted in commercial litigation involving breach of contract claims, landlord and tenant actions, oppressed minority shareholder disputes, and cases involving breach of fiduciary duty. His bankruptcy experience encompasses proceedings under the Bankruptcy Code in connection with Rule 2004 examinations, fraudulent transfers, reopening of a Chapter 11 case, and modification of a creditor’s committee. His support of clients includes the assessment of initial claims and related research, the drafting of mediation statements and pleadings, as well as discovery and motion practice.
Honors & Awards
- While attending law school, recipient of a Dean's Merit Scholarship and a 2020 Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey Scholarship
- Mr. Chavez' law school honors also include: Center for Immigration Law, Policy and Justice Fellow and Criminal Law Teaching Fellow
- Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey
- New Jersey State Bar Association
More Activities & Experience
- Mr. Chavez is a member of the firm's Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Leadership Team
- Mr. Chavez is fluent in Spanish and has conversational fluency in Portuguese
- Rutgers Journal of Law and Public Policy Staff Editor
- Mr. Chavez earned a Corporate & Business Law Certificate while attending Rutgers Law School. His law school activities included membership in the Society for Corporate Law & Governance and the Minority Student Program
- As a clinical student in the Intellectual Property Law Clinic at Rutgers Law, Mr. Chavez advised and assisted clients on IP law matters and trademark application filings with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- LatinoJustice LAWbound scholar