People usually come to lawyers because they have a problem they cannot resolve on their own. The commitment I make to every one of my clients is that I’ll make their problem my problem, and will then devote all of my skills to resolving that problem as quickly and creatively as possible.
Mr. Backer concentrates his practice in estate planning, estate and trust administration and fiduciary litigation. He brings over forty years of specialized experience to his representation of individuals, owners of closely held businesses, executors, administrators, trustees and beneficiaries. He aggressively manages will disputes, will construction proceedings, accounting and other fiduciary litigation for individuals and New Jersey-based bank trust departments. He advises and implements wealth transfer strategies for high net-worth individuals and the owners of closely-held businesses to help them achieve their estate planning objectives while minimizing their transfer tax liabilities. He counsels individual and corporate fiduciaries on all facets of estate and trust administration, preparation of state and federal death and fiduciary income tax returns, post-mortem tax planning and fiduciary accountings.
Mr. Backer has served as an expert witness and, because of his expertise in the area is frequently engaged to mediate complex, contested estate litigation. He is a draftsperson of significant portions of Title 3B, New Jersey’s Probate Code, including The Prudent Investor Act, which significantly revised the rules governing trust investing, The Revised Uniform Principal and Income Act and subsequent revisions to the Code.
Honors & Awards
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel Fellow
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© (a trademark of Woodward/White, Inc.) in the Trusts & Estates and Litigation:Trusts & Estates practice areas (1993 – present)
- Selected by Best Lawyers® as Woodbridge "Lawyer of the Year" in Litigation - Trusts & Estates (2013 – 2014)
- Listed in New Jersey Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters business) in the Estate & Trust Litigation and Estate Planning & Probate practice areas (2005 – present)
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV® Preeminent (a trademark of Internet Brands, Inc.) (1980 – present)
Please visit our Award Methodology page for a description of the standard or methodology on which these accolades are based. Attorney Advertising: No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- New Jersey State Bar Association; Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section Board of Consultors (past Officer); New Jersey Probate Code Revision and Reform Committee (past Chair)
More Activities & Experience
- American Bar Association; Real Property, Trust & Estate Section
- Montclair Art Museum Trustee; Audit Committee and Finance Committee (2011 - present)
- Errington Foundation Trustee (2014 - present)
- Manhattan Theatre Club Planned Giving Committee
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Throughout his career, Mr. Backer has lectured on trust investment law, trends in probate litigation, new developments in New Jersey probate law and various aspects of estate and tax planning
Publications & Alerts
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, June 9, 2020
- New Jersey Law Journal, July 6, 2016
- Co-Author, Anticipated Changes in IRS Regulations May Impact Use of Valuation Discounts in Estate PlanningGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, August 2015
- Contributing Author, An Overview of Key Provisions of the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, January 2013
Rutgers University School of Law, Newark, J.D., 1969
Rutgers University, A.B., 1966
- New Jersey, 1969
- New York, 1983
- U.S. Tax Court, 1983
- Former law clerk to The Honorable Harold Kolovsky, J.A.D. (1969 – 1970)
Please visit our Award Methodology page for a description of the standard or methodology on which these accolades are based. Attorney Advertising: No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Sup
reme Court of New Jersey.