Being an attorney presents constant opportunities to learn and grow in both the practice of law and in mastering my clients' businesses and operations. Each case requires a unique strategy, and I enjoy the challenge that comes with executing a litigation plan best suited to meet the needs of that particular client.
Ms. Alam focuses her practice in litigation, with a particular concentration in the area of employment law. She also assists in the handling of matters involving claims of public entity liability.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Alam was a Deputy Attorney General in the New Jersey Office of the Attorney General, Division of Law. In that capacity, she handled a full caseload of complex employment litigation matters and defended numerous cases filed against state departments and agencies, including state colleges, correctional institutions, the Department of Human Services and New Jersey Transit. Her experience includes claims related to violations of the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination (NJLAD), the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and the Conscientious Employee Protection Act (CEPA).
Ms. Alam's employment litigation experience has encompassed managing cases from inception to resolution, up to and including trial and appellate proceedings. She has argued motions, defended and taken numerous depositions, and written appellate briefs for matters before the New Jersey Superior Court Appellate Division and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
In trial practice, Ms. Alam served as second-chair for a trial which resulted in a jury verdict in favor of her client, and has effectively advocated on behalf of numerous other clients in disputes which settled through negotiation and mediation prior to trial.
Honors & Awards
- Recipient of a Legal Educational Opportunities Scholarship and an Andrew B. Crummy Scholarship at Seton Hall University School of Law
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association; Young Lawyers Division
- Member, Asian Pacific American Lawyers Association of New Jersey
More Activities & Experience
- Ms. Alam is fluent in Hindi and Gujarati
- Former legal intern to The Honorable Susan D. Wigenton, United States District Court, District of New Jersey
- Former legal intern to the New Jersey Office of the Attorney General, Securities Fraud Protection, Newark
- Former legal intern to the Asian-American Legal Defense and Education Fund, New York
- Former member and Vice President, Asian Pacific American Law Student Association
- While attending law school, Ms. Alam was a member of the Journal of Sports and Entertainment Law, the Appellate Advocacy Moot Court Board, and the Dispute Resolution Society at Seton Hall University of Law
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, Employment Discrimination Investigation: How to Safeguard Business Against Discrimination ClaimsSponsor: The Knowledge Group, October 3, 2018
Publications & Alerts
- Co-Author, New Jersey Adopts Limitations to Non-Disclosure Provision in Contracts and Settlement Agreements in Response to #MeTooGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP, March 21, 2019
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, February 8, 2019
- Co-Author, New Jersey’s Earned Sick and Safe Days Act Becomes Effective This Month: New Posting Requirement and Proposed RegulationsGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, October 2018
- Author, NJ Legislation to Further Strengthen Construction Industry Employees’ Rights is Pending; Governor Murphy Establishes Task Force on Employee MisclassificationGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, May 2018
- Author, New Jersey Law Against Discrimination Expanded to Include Civil Rights Protections for Breastfeeding MothersGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP, January 11, 2018
Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2013
City University of New York, Hunter College, B.A., 2008
- New Jersey, 2013
- New York, 2014
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 2015
- Former judicial clerk to The Honorable Susan L. Reisner, Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division (2013 - 2014)