I was twelve when I realized I would never play in the NBA, and turned my sights to being a lawyer. Practicing law in New Jersey was the logical progression, since this has always been my home and the options here are plentiful. Each day, I transition between working with large institutional clients and small local businesses, which means, sometimes quite literally, that my focus changes on an hourly basis!
Mr. Flanagan concentrates his practice in litigation and community association law. His work encompasses all aspects of both state and federal civil and criminal litigation pre-trial, trial, and appellate practice. His experience is focused in the areas of banking and creditors’ rights, white collar criminal defense, landlord-tenant disputes, personal injury, debt collection and commercial litigation.
Mr. Flanagan also serves as general counsel to a number of condominium and homeowners associations.
Further, Mr. Flanagan is prepared to meet the needs of both existing and future clients by providing counsel related to the business and legal impacts of a New Jersey-based cannabis industry, both in the expanded New Jersey legal medical marijuana program and in any potential future adult-use program.
Mr. Flanagan earned the ANSI-accredited Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US) credential through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
Honors & Awards
- Selected for inclusion by the New Jersey Law Journal on the 2018 list of "New Leaders of the Bar," the publication's annual listing of outstanding attorneys under the age of 40 and practicing in New Jersey
- Listed in Super Lawyers - New Jersey Rising Stars (a Thompson Reuters business) in the Business Litigation practice area (2013, 2019)
- Member of the Order of the Coif, Seton Hall University School of Law
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found HERE. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Was second chair for a significant jury trial on behalf of our client, a major banking and financial institution. The firm's successful efforts in this case represented a complete victory and the entry of a judgment in the amount of $2,283,423 in favor of our client.
- Played a significant role in the firm's obtaining a reversal by the NJ Appellate Division of a judgment in the amount of almost $300,000,000 entered against our client, a major banking and financial institution. Further, Mr. Flanagan assumed a significant role on remand, where the firm's successful efforts resulted in a judgment for attorneys' fees and costs entered in favor of our client in the amount of $181,737.
- Played a significant role in the firm's pre-trial motion to dismiss a State criminal indictment against our client. The firm's successful efforts resulted in a complete dismissal of the indictment due to its vagueness and the State's failure to properly charge the Grand Jury with the requisite criminal mental states for the crimes charged.
- Represented a condominium association seeking to collect on outstanding maintenance fees, late fees, special assessments, and attorneys' fees and costs from three affiliated unit owners. Mr. Flanagan's efforts result in dismissal of the counterclaim of one unit owner, and the entry of final judgment in favor of our client in the amounts of $97,327 against one unit owner; $110,440 against the second owner; and $54,293 against the third owner.
- Member, Community Associations Institute - New Jersey Chapter; former Chair, Business Partners Committee
- Member, Middlesex County Bar Association
- Member, Trial Attorneys of New Jersey
More Activities & Experience
- Member, Phi Sigma Kappa, Nu Chapter, Alumni Association; former Board of Directors
- Former judicial intern to The Honorable Kenneth MacKenzie, Superior Court of New Jersey, Chancery Division
- Associate Editor, Seton Hall Law Review (2007-2008)
- Interscholastic Moot Court Team Coach at Seton University School of Law (2009 – 2011)
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Sponsor: Community Associations Institute New Jersey Chapter, September 17, 2019
- Sponsor: Associa Community Management Corp., July 25, 2019
- Panelist, CAI-NJ Best Practices RoundtableSponsor: Community Associations Institute NJ Chapter, June 11, 2019
- Speaker, 2019 High-Rise SummitSponsor: Community Associations Institute NJ Chapter, May 21, 2019
- Lecturer, FDCPA and Collection LawSponsor: National Business Institute, April 4, 2019
- Speaker, FDCPA and Collection LawSponsor: National Business Institute, April 1, 2019
- Presenter, Marijuana Business Law in New JerseySponsor: National Business Institute, December 13, 2018
- Presenter, Marijuana Business Law in New JerseySponsor: National Business Institute, December 10, 2018
- Presenter, Rolling Out Legal Weed in New Jersey: A Legislative and Regulatory Update and Discussion of Some Key Issues Related to a Legalized Cannabis IndustrySponsor: Mercer County Bar Association, October 11, 2018
- Sponsor: The Knowledge Group, August 30, 2018
- Speaker, 2018 CAI-NJ High-Rise SummitSponsor: Community Associations Institute - NJ, July 10, 2018
- Sponsor: The Knowledge Group, March 1, 2018
- Speaker, White Collar Crime Law and the Criminal Justice Reform Under the New Administration: Trends, Developments and UpdatesSponsor: The Knowledge Group, November 6, 2017
- Sponsor: The Knowledge Group, September 7, 2017
- Speaker, Condominium LawSponsor: New Jersey State Bar Foundation, March 22, 2017
- Sponsor: Supreme-Metro Corp., October 13, 2016
- Speaker, Managers Leadership WorkshopSponsor: Community Associations Institute New Jersey Chapter, September 7, 2016
- Speaker, Collection Law From Start to FinishSponsor: NBI Seminars, August 11, 2016
Publications & Alerts
- This article was originally published in the August 2019 issue of New Jersey Lawyer, a publication of the New Jersey State Bar Association, and is reprinted here with permission.New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, August 2019
- Author, U.S. Court of Appeals Rules That Gender-Segregated Swimming Pool Use Schedule Violates Fair Housing ActGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, April 30, 2019
- Downtown New Jersey, June 19, 2018
- Co-Author, Recent Appellate Division Decision Expands Private Party Remedies Under New Jersey Spill Act and Demonstrates Condominium Owners’ Potential for Environmental LiabilityGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, April 1, 2017
- Author, New Jersey Bankruptcy Court Issues Ruling Regarding Condominium Association Liens in Chapter 13 ProceedingsCommunity Trends, August 2015
- Author, New Jersey Bankruptcy Court Issues Ruling Regarding Condominium Association Liens in Chapter 13 ProceedingsGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, June 2015
Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2008
Lehigh University, B.S., 2005
- New Jersey, 2008
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 2008
- New York, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 2016
- Former law clerk to The Honorable Marie P. Simonelli, J.A.D., Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division