As a transactional attorney, I have the opportunity to counsel clients across a wide spectrum of industries. I enjoy working with entrepreneurs, company officers, board members, in-house counsel, and other decision makers to assist clients in achieving their business goals.
Ms. Akhtar’s diversified experience encompasses both corporate and transactional real estate matters. Her clients include public and privately held companies, institutional lenders, manufacturers, real estate developers and property owners.
Ms. Akhtar represents business entities operating within a variety of industries. She serves as outside general counsel on corporate matters and represents companies in private venture financings, employment agreements, distribution and licensing agreements, corporate governance matters, the structuring of new business entities and joint ventures, and the purchase and sale of businesses. In addition, Ms. Akhtar advises lenders and borrowers in conjunction with a wide variety of financing transactions, including construction and permanent loans, secured and unsecured credit facilities, the purchase and sale of loans, and the workout of distressed loans.
Ms. Akhtar also represents sellers and purchasers in all aspects of real estate acquisitions and dispositions, including office buildings, industrial facilities, shopping centers and residential developments. She serves as counsel for both landlords and tenants in the preparation and negotiation of leases for office, retail and industrial properties.
Ms. Akhtar is a LEED Accredited Professional (LEED AP BD+C), as designated by the U.S. Green Building Council, and maintains a strong professional interest in sustainable development and energy efficiency initiatives, including solar energy projects.
Honors & Awards
- Listed in Super Lawyers – New Jersey Rising Stars (a Thompson Reuters business) in the Business/Corporate practice area (2012 - 2016)
- Listed by Mid Atlantic Real Estate Journal as one of its Executive Women in Business (2016)
- Included by the New Jersey Law Journal (a publication of ALM Media Properties, LLC) on its 2011 "40 Under 40" list (now "New Leaders of the Bar")
- Recipient of the 2011 Middlesex County Bar Association “Young Lawyer of the Year Award”
- Listed by Real Estate New Jersey magazine as one of its "Women of Influence" (2009)
- Recipient of the John J. Galgay Fellowship in Bankruptcy and Reorganization Law
- Recipient of an academic scholarship from the American Association of University Women
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found HERE. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Represented a real estate development company in the negotiation of a membership interest purchase agreement, joint venture agreement, financing documents and related agreements in connection with the acquisition of a $55 million housing complex consisting of 31 two-story buildings on a 62 acre site.
- Represented an automobile dealership in the sale of its business to an automobile conglomerate for a purchase price of $8 million.
- Represented a manufacturer of juvenile consumer products and furniture in the sale of its company to a competitor, and in connection with the manufacturer's bankruptcy filing, for a purchase price of $5 million.
- Represented a New Jersey-based client that purchases and sells original equipment parts, replacement parts and cores for automobiles within the United States and internationally, in its multi-million dollar acquisition by a public corporation with offices in the United States and abroad.
- Represented an institutional lender on a line of credit loan to a New Jersey-based redeveloper in the amount of over $10 million, to be utilized for working capital and letters of credit in connection with the redeveloper’s construction of a mixed-use development in excess of one million square feet.
- Ms. Akhtar has represented major developers in the drafting and negotiation of commercial real estate leases totaling over one million square feet of office, retail and industrial space throughout New Jersey.
- Represented privately-held Bel-Ray Company, Inc., a manufacturer and global distributor of high-performance lubricants, in its acquisition by Calumet Specialty Products Partners, L.P., headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Represented the accounting firm of Amper, Politziner & Mattia LLP in the negotiation and structuring of its business combination with Eisner LLP, creating the accounting firm of EisnerAmper LLP, one of the largest accounting firms in the United States.
- As outside general counsel to an optical and medical device company, handled a broad array of business matters, including sales representative agreements, equipment leases, employment agreements, licensing and distribution agreements, and product liability and warranty matters.
- As outside general counsel to a food sales and marketing agency, Ms. Akhtar handles legal issues involving employment contracts, independent contractor agreements, brokerage contracts, sales and marketing agreements, and general corporate governance matters.
- Represented a major multinational manufacturing company in the drafting and negotiation of a sophisticated real estate lease covering over 170,000 square feet of industrial, warehouse, and office space.
- Represented an engineering company in its acquisition and financing of an $11 million multi-tenanted industrial building, which serves as the company’s New Jersey headquarters.
- Represented a New Jersey college in the $8 million construction loan financing of the conversion of an existing building into a dormitory.
- Represented a New Jersey developer in connection with a $45 million acquisition of real estate approved for the development of an active adult community.
- Editorial Board, New Jersey Lawyer Magazine (2011-Present)
- Co-Chair, Middlesex County Bar Association Real Estate Committee (2010-Present)
- Business Affiliate Member, South Jersey Real Estate Investors Association
- Member, Board of Consultors, New Jersey State Bar Association Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section (2011-2012)
- Member, Board of Directors, New Jersey Women Lawyers Association (2008-2012)
More Activities & Experience
- Former judicial intern to The Honorable Burton R. Lifland, United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York
- Article and Note Editor, NYU Law School Journal of International Law and Politics (1999-2001)
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Panelist, Legal ProfessionsSponsor: 19th Annual Women’s Leadership Conference and Career Pathways, South Brunswick Commission on Women, April 2016
- Panelist, Legal ProfessionsSponsor: 17th Annual Women’s Leadership Conference and Career Pathways, South Brunswick Commission on Women, March 2014
- Moderator, Landlord/Tenant LawSponsor: Middlesex County Bar Association, March 2014
- Moderator, Timely Title IssuesSponsor: Middlesex County Bar Association Real Estate Practice Seminar, April 24, 2013
- Panelist, Legal ProfessionsSponsor: 16th Annual Women’s Leadership Conference and Career Pathways, South Brunswick Commission on Women, March 2013
- Organizer and Moderator, Foreclosure BasicsSponsor: Middlesex County Bar Association, May 2012
- Organizer, Environmental Issues for Real Estate MattersSponsor: Middlesex County Bar Association, November 2011
- Panelist, Professionalism for Young LawyersSponsor: Middlesex County Bar Association, June 2011
- Organizer and Moderator, Land Use BasicsSponsor: Middlesex County Bar Association, June 2011
- Organizer and Moderator, Landlord/Tenant LawSponsor: Middlesex County Bar Association, November 2010
- Panelist, The Impact of Bulk Sales Reporting Requirements on Real Estate TransactionsSponsor: The Kislak Company, October 2010
Publications & Alerts
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, February 2018
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP 2018 Real Estate Update: Trending Issues & Topics of Interest, February 2018
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, March 2017
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, March 2015
- Co-Author, The Financial Benefits of Green BuildingGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Interview with Jennifer Senick, Executive Director of the Rutgers Center for Green Building, July 2011
New York University School of Law, J.D., 2001
The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, B.S., 1997
- New Jersey, 2001
- New York, 2002
- Connecticut, 2003