The firm’s Construction Practice Group provides representation in conjunction with residential and commercial construction projects throughout New Jersey. Our work in this area is inclusive of all aspects of construction-related legal issues, encompassing both the transactional side of the construction business and the representation of clients in adversarial proceedings.
The group’s clients have included developers and builders, property owners, common interest communities, general and specialty contractors, architects, design professionals, material suppliers, insurers, lenders and public sector clients. The attorneys in this practice area have particular experience and depth of knowledge related to New Jersey’s regulatory structure and its impact on the state’s building and construction industry.
The goal of our work is always to help our clients avoid (or if necessary, resolve) major disputes with a minimum of disruption and expense. We take a protective and preemptive approach to the drafting and negotiation of contracts and agreements, with a strong focus on the proper allocation of risk and responsibility. When representing clients in construction litigation, mediations, arbitrations and appeals, we utilize the firm’s resources in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
The group’s attorneys have represented clients in federal, state and municipal and county courts, and in hearings before municipal construction boards of appeals.
Our services in this area include:
- Drafting, review and negotiation of construction-related contracts and agreements
- Contract enforcement issues
- Drafting and review of project bid documentation and consultation regarding propriety of bids and bid disputes
- Government contracts and bids
- Insurance coverage disputes
- Surety bond issues
- Mechanics and construction lien enforcement and waivers
- Project advice and regulatory counseling
- Scope of work issues
- Employment issues
- Construction warranty and defects litigation
- Breach of contract and negligence claims
- Professional malpractice
- Disputes over cost overruns, construction delays, project management and budgeting
- Construction mediation and arbitration
"Established practice focused on representing developers, owners, condominium associations and general contractors in litigation. Experienced in handling a broad range of disputes, including claims relating to defective construction and design, negligence and construction delays."
2020 edition of "Chambers USA" (a publication of Chambers and Partners)