Partner, Litigation Department
Chair, Insurance Practice Group
Member, Construction Practice Group
Member, Environmental Practice Group
Mr. Spiller's practice includes insurance coverage litigation involving environmental, construction defect, and professional liability claims. He has litigated claims arising under professional liability policies, first party property polices, and employment related practices insurance policies, and Brownfields insurance policies. He is noted for his experience handling complex commercial litigation including minority shareholder disputes, contract claims and banking litigation.
- Mr. Spiller has handled a number of the complex environmental coverage matters involving claims in excess of $100 million with contaminated sites located in states throughout the country.
- He has also handled many construction litigation claims, resolving Fire Retardant Treated plywood claims and construction defect claims for many of New Jersey’s largest builders, developers and general contractors.
- Mr. Spiller has also participated with Paul Rowe, chair of the firm’s litigation department, as lead counsel in the Mutual Benefit Insurance Co. Rehabilitation, the largest insurance rehabilitation proceeding in U.S. history.
Professional Activities / Honors
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the Insurance Law practice area.
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV® Preeminent.
- Member of the Environmental Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association.
- Member of the American Bar Association.
- Member of the Middlesex County Bar Association.
- While an undergraduate, he authored and directed a documentary film on poets in New Jersey featuring William Carlos Williams and his poem “Paterson.”
- Upon graduation from law school, Mr. Spiller clerked for the Honorable Edwin Stern, Appellate Division of the Superior Court of New Jersey. As a law clerk, he was involved in the first death penalty case under the then recent statute and participated in drafting many of the opinions concerning the constitutionality of the death penalty statute.
- Mr. Spiller published his first book of poetry Scalding Heart, which won the 2006 American Book Award for poetry.
- New Jersey, 1982
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1982
- U.S. District Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 1982