Having been an engineer, I try to look beyond the law to understand the technical aspects of a case, which are often based in engineering or scientific principles. The client understands these technical complexities and in order to be effective in pursuing the client’s goals, I need to do the same.
Mr. Kornbrek concentrates his practice in litigation, with a particular focus on the defense of automotive product liability claims against the manufacturers and distributors of motor vehicles and vehicle component parts. His representation of clients in this area also encompasses breach of warranty and other consumer claims. Additionally, Mr. Kornbrek represents self-insured hospitality industry clients in the defense of premises liability claims, including insurance coverage and affirmative indemnification claims. Prior to attending law school, Mr. Kornbrek developed significant technical expertise when he practiced as an electrical engineer. His understanding of technical issues is an asset to his capabilities as a litigator.
- Achieved a significant victory on behalf of Howard Johnson International, Inc. in Sayles v. G&G Hotels, Inc. The 2013 decision is significant in that it is the first published decision in which the Appellate Division approved a broad indemnification provision which provided for indemnification even for acts of one’s own negligence. While the New Jersey Courts had previously indicated that such clauses were enforceable, previous Appellate Division decisions had found the clauses examined to be unenforceable.
- Achieved a significant victory in Stevenson v. American Honda Finance Corp. The Court’s ruling in favor of the Defendant thwarted a potential class action law suit, and is significant in that it confirms the insulation of assignees of consumer credit contracts from liability for Truth-in-Lending Act (TILA) violations that may be created by the lender. Click here to read more about this case.
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member, Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey
More Activities & Experience
- Member, American Bar Association; Litigation Section
- While attending law school, served as managing editor of the Rutgers Law Review (1991 – 1992)