Of Counsel, Litigation Department
Member, Alternative Dispute Resolution Practice Group
Judge Berman focuses his practice in mediation, arbitration, and discovery management of complex family, commercial, estate/probate, and general equity matters, as well as law enforcement investigations.
Following a 17-year career in private practice, Judge Berman served in the Superior Court of Middlesex County from 1989 to 1998, where he presided over matters ranging from prerogative writs to capital murder. He was appointed Prosecutor for Middlesex County in 1998, appearing before the New Jersey Supreme Court and trying numerous jury cases during his tenure. In 2002, he returned to the Middlesex County bench, serving as Presiding Judge of the Family Part from 2003 to 2008. Prior to his retirement on January 1, 2013, Judge Berman served as one of two judges assigned to the Chancery Part - General Equity, where he presided over probate, foreclosure, and complex commercial disputes. During this time, he was also designated as Acting Criminal Part Presiding Judge and as Acting Assignment Judge.
Judge Berman has authored published decisions encompassing all four divisions of the Superior Court; General Equity, Family, Civil and Criminal, as listed below. He was specially designated to preside over New Jersey’s 2012 landmark cyberbullying case, State v. Dharun Ravi.
- Bank of New York Mellon v. George S. Elghossain and Mona C. Elghossain, 419 N.J. Super. 336 (2010).
- UPS Capital Business Credit v. Kenneth J. Abbey, Washington Mutual Bank, FA and American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc. 408 N.J. Super. 524 (2009)
- South Brunswick Associates v. Township of Monroe, 285 N.J. Super. 377 (1994)
- Diocese of Metuchen v. Township of Piscataway, 252 N.J. Super. 525 (1991)
Chancery Division-Family Part
- In the Matter of Ashley Meng, 376 N.J. Super. 641 (2004)
- DiBella V. DiBella, 372 N.J. Super. 350 (2004)
- Paulino v. Ramirez, 311 N.J. Super. 420 (1998)
- Pasternak v. Pasternak, 310 N.J. Super. 483 (1997)
- Siegel v. Siegel, 243 N.J. Super. 211 (1990)
- Siegel v. Siegel, 241 N.J. Super. 12 (1990)
- Prikril v. Prikril, 236 N.J. Super. 49 (1989)
- In the Matter of Application of R.C. for Expungement, 292 N.J. Super. 151 (1996)
- State of New Jersey v. Pittman, 282 N.J. Super. 349 (1994)
- State of New Jersey v. Dylag, 267 N.J. Super. 348 (1993)
- State of New Jersey v. Parkins, 263 N.J. Super. 423 (1993)
- State of New Jersey v. McCoy, 261 N.J. Super. 202 (1992)
- State of New Jersey v. Jersey Carting, Inc., 259 N.J. Super. 130 (1992)
Professional Activities / Honors
- Member of the New Jersey State Bar Association and a member of its Family Law Executive Committee, Equity Jurisprudence Committee, Amicus Committee, Business Law Section and Labor & Employment Section.
- Member of the American Bar Association and a member of its Section of Dispute Resolution.
- Member of the Middlesex County Bar Association.
- Member of the Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey.
- Municipal Prosecutor for the Townships of Old Bridge (1982-83), Monroe (1984-87) and East Brunswick (1986-87).
- Counsel to the Zoning Board of Adjustment in the Boroughs of Helmetta (1980-85) and South River (1973-74).
- Director of Law in the Townships of Monroe (1987) and Old Bridge (1988-89).
- Special Counsel for Township of South Brunswick (1984).
- Councilman, Borough of South River (1976-81) and Council President (1980).
- Former member of the Supreme Court’s Family Practice Committee, the Sub-Committee on Rules and General Procedures, the Committee on Women in the Courts, the Conference of Family Part Presiding Judges, the Conference of General Equity Judges, and the Conference of Criminal Part Presiding Judges.
- Past President of the Halpern-Furman Inn of Court, Somerset and Middlesex Counties, NJ.
- Past member of the Middlesex County District VIII Ethics Committee.
- While attending law school he was a member of the Editorial Board of the Case Western Reserve Law Review.
- Faculty Member, “Handling the Media in Cases with Notoriety: A Lawyer’s Guide,” C. Willard Heckel Inn of Court and the Rutgers Institute for Professional Education, October 28, 2014.
- Featured Speaker, “Pivotal Issues in Equitable Distribution,” New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, October 25, 2014.
- Panelist, “Tools of the Trade: Procedural Devices Available to the Trial Lawyer,” New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, August 21, 2014.
- Moderator and Panelist, “Handling the High Profile Case,” New Jersey State Bar Association Annual Meeting, May 15, 2014.
- Panelist, “A Review of the 2013 Family Law Opinions,” Middlesex-Union-Somerset County Bar Associations, February 20, 2014.
- Speaker , “Handling High Profile Cases,” Haydn Proctor Inn of Court in the Monmouth County Vicinage, February 12, 2014.
- Speaker, “Ethical Considerations for Trial & Transactional Attorneys,” Middlesex County Bar Association, May 22, 2013.
- Speaker, “State v Ravi and The Issue of Cyberbullying,” Monroe Township High School Constitutional Law Class, May 21, 2013.
- Moderator/Panelist, “Handling the High Profile Case,” New Jersey State Bar Association’s Annual Meeting, May 16, 2013.
- Speaker, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers’ Dinner, May 13, 2013.
- Speaker, “Trial Tactics,” Trial Attorneys of New Jersey, April 25, 2013.
- Speaker, “Cyberbullying in America: A Discussion of Liability, Policy, and Progress,” Rutgers School of Law - Newark, April 24, 2013.
- Panelist, “New Technologies & Invasion of Privacy,” New Jersey Association for Justice Boardwalk Seminar, April 19, 2013.
- Panelist, “Negotiating & Mediation Strategies,” New Jersey Association for Justice Boardwalk Seminar, April 18, 2013.
- Panelist, “Demystifying Chancery Practice,” General Equity Section of the Burlington County Bar Association, January 31, 2013.
- Panelist, “Abraham Lincoln - 15 Captivating Stories From His Legal Practice, and the Lessons They Can Teach Us Today,” New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, February 18, 2013.
- Presenter, 2013 School Law Conference, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, February 27, 2013.
- Presenter, Fourth Annual Solo & Small-Firm Conference, New Jersey State Bar Association, March 2, 2013.
- Frequent lecturer for the New Jersey State Bar Association and the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education in the areas of motion practice, alternate dispute resolution, evidence, and trial procedure.
- New Jersey, 1972
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1972
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1978