I’ve loved practicing law for the past 37 years. That devotion is enhanced by the endearing relationship I share with my partner and friend Arthur Greenbaum. His father, who founded our firm 100 years ago, told Arthur to ‘master what you do’ and Arthur, in both word and deed, has passed that on to me.
Mr. Goldsmith's practice focuses on redevelopment, downtown and urban revitalization, transit oriented development, project financing and incentives, sustainable building initiatives and public-private partnerships. His experience encompasses counseling clients on the specialized issues in redevelopment related to parking demand, design and construction. Mr. Goldsmith also has broad experience in complex commercial litigation, construction litigation and appellate work.
Honors & Awards
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the Real Estate Law and Land Use & Zoning Law categories (2007 – present)
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business in the Real Estate: Zoning/ Land Use category (2006 – present)
- Listed in New Jersey Super Lawyers in the Real Estate practice area (2010 – present)
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV® Preeminent
- Recipient of a New Jersey Future Smart Growth Award (2009)
- Recipient of the President's Award for Distinguished Leadership in Planning from the New Jersey Chapter of the American Planning Association (2007)
- New Jersey Supreme Court Cases:
- Gallenthin Realty Development, Inc. v. Borough of Paulsboro, 191 N.J. 344 (N.J. 2007)
- 2nd Roc-Jersey Associates v. Town of Morristown, 158 N.J. 581 (N.J. 1999)
- Counseled a joint venture between developer Jonathan Rose Companies and JP Morgan Chase on title and construction loan closings for a mixed use redevelopment project in South Orange, NJ. The project will consist of a 215 unit LEED certified apartment building, retail space and a 500+ space parking facility, a portion of which will be available for public use. The firm advised on the transfer of property to our client pursuant to a Redevelopment Agreement previously negotiated by our team, and also negotiated a $38,500,000 million construction mortgage loan for the project. The deal represents a major milestone for the project and a significant step forward for South Orange’s downtown redevelopment.
- Mr. Goldsmith has served as Counsel to the Morristown Parking Authority since 1983, leading to broad-based involvement in numerous downtown redevelopment projects in the Town of Morristown. That representation has included involvement in three structured parking facilities creating more than 2,000 parking spaces and leveraging more than $500 million in private sector investment.
- Involved in the development of the “Epstein’s project” in Morristown from 2002 to the present. The project now includes the properties known as 40 Park, the Metropolitan, the 14 Maple Avenue Office Building and the DeHart Street Garage, with an approximate value in excess of $300,000,000. Mr. Goldsmith’s services included declaration of the Area in Need of Rehabilitation, creation of the Redevelopment Plan, negotiation of tenant leases, negotiation of complex agreements for parking, access, development and allocation of costs between the Morristown Parking Authority and the private redeveloper, negotiation of contracts for the construction of the DeHart Street Garage and 14 Maple Avenue office building, and the Gold LEED certification for those properties.
- Serves as counsel to Morristown Partnership, a Special Improvement District established in Morristown in 1994.
- From 1978 – 1990, served as special counsel for the Headquarters Plaza Project, a then $100 million redevelopment venture in Morristown, handling all aspects of the negotiations, contracts and litigation relating to the project.
- Served as special counsel to the City of Long Branch with respect to the oceanfront developments of Pier Village and Beachfront North.
- Served as counsel to Matzel and Mumford on the redevelopment project in South Bound Brook, now known as Canal Crossing, consisting of 152 townhomes on the former GAF manufacturing site.
- Represented Thorlabs, Inc. in negotiating the terms for the Redevelopment Agreement, Financial Agreement and financing for the redevelopment of a brownfield site in Newton for its $25 million corporate headquarters and production facility.
- Represented Somerset Development and Avalon Bay in negotiation of complex Financial Agreements for payments in lieu of taxes for residential developments in Woodridge, New Jersey.
- Represented Landmark Properties in the development of the Landmark at Rahway redevelopment project which was recently sold to Roseland Mack Cali.
- Represented KHovnanian in the redevelopment project of the villages at Delaware Run in Trenton, New Jersey.
- Represented the City of Millville, New Jersey in the creation of the first and only Revenue Allocation District in the State of New Jersey, the precursor to tax increment financing or what is now an ERG Grant.
- Provided pro bono counsel to the Discovery School, a charter school in Newark, in relation to its lease and occupancy in Teachers Village, a dynamic redevelopment project in the heart of downtown Newark. Mr. Goldsmith has been proud to represent this school, which changes the lives of inner city children.
- Served as special counsel for redevelopment to the municipalities of Morristown, Woodbridge, Princeton, Westfield, Millville, Netcong, North Wildwood, Robbinsville and Belmar.
- Provided counsel with respect to redevelopment projects in Woodbridge, Rahway, South Amboy, Jersey City, Morristown, South Bound Brook, Matawan, Wildwood, Stanhope, Netcong, Phillipsburg, Trenton, Aberdeen, East Brunswick, West Orange, Bloomfield, Hoboken, Newark, South Orange, Linden and Cranford.
- Guided Newark in the creation of the Newark Downtown District SID, the Bergen Lyons and Clinton SID and the SID funding mechanism for the Greater Newark Convention and Visitors Bureau.
- Serves as counsel to Special Improvement Districts in the Wildwoods, Livingston, Seaside Heights, and Newark.
- Provided counsel to Special Improvement Districts in Atlantic City, Westfield, Keyport, Collingswood, Jersey City, Haddon Township, Bergenfield, Gloucester City, Teaneck, the Highlands, West Orange, Red Bank, Bound Brook, Seaside Heights, Ocean City and Summit, among others.
- President, Downtown New Jersey; Member, Executive Committee
- Trustee and Board Member, New Jersey Future
- Member, Regional Plan Association; New Jersey Committee
- Member, Urban Land Institute; New Jersey Chapter
- Member, New Jersey Builders Association
- Member, Metropolitan Builders & Contractors Association of New Jersey
- Member, NAIOP; New Jersey Chapter
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member, Morris County Bar Association
- Former member, Main Street New Jersey Board of Advisors
- Past President, Rutgers School of Law-Newark Alumni Association; Member, Executive Committee
- Former member, Ad Hoc committee of New Jersey Department of Community Affairs focused on Special Improvement Districts
- Former member, New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Civil Practice and Procedure
- Former Editorial Board member, New Jersey Lawyer
- Developed and teaches a course in redevelopment law at Rutgers University School of Law, Newark
- Teaches a course in redevelopment law at the Kislak Real Estate Institute at Monmouth University
- Served as an adjunct professor of environmental law in the Graduate Department of Urban Planning and Policy Development at Rutgers University
- Taught environmental law in the Master’s degree program for environmental engineering at the New Jersey Institute of Technology
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Guest Lecturer, Urban Development ClassSponsor: Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, September 24, 2014
- “Redevelopment in New Jersey – Legal Challenges and New Resources to Achieve Success”Sponsor: New Jersey Housing & Mortgage Finance Association, September 22, 2014
- Welcome Address, Annual Conference: How to Get Feet on the Street – in Your Downtown!Sponsor: Downtown New Jersey, September 12, 2014
- Speaker, Downtown Development– How to Ensure Success through SID Best PracticesSponsor: Downtown New Jersey, May 16, 2014
- Sponsor: Atlantic Builders Convention, March 26, 2014
- Presenter, Redevelopment ConceptsSponsor: Regional Plan Association New Jersey Committee, February 27, 2014
- American Planning Association New Jersey ChapterJanuary 23, 2014
- Panelist, Step One: The Area ‘In Need of Redevelopment’Sponsor: New Jersey Redevelopment Authority Redevelopment Planning Law conference, October 16, 2013
- Panelist, Planning and Redevelopment Tools for Rebuilding the Jersey ShoreSponsor: Downtown New Jersey Annual Conference, May 16, 2013
- Moderator, Newark Master Plan and Zoning RoundtableSponsor: Newark Regional Business Partnership, sponsored by Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis, April 24, 2013
- Moderator, Growth in Mixed Use DevelopmentsSponsor: Atlantic Builders Convention -- New Jersey Builders Association, April 10, 2013
- Sponsor: New Jersey Future Redevelopment Forum, March 1, 2013
- Presenter, Financial Considerations, Challenges and Opportunities of Redevelopment ProjectsSponsor: Redevelopment Training Institute, October 24, 2012
- Presenter, Urban Revitalization and RedevelopmentSponsor: National Association of Independent Fee Appraisers National Conference, October 17-18, 2012
- Presenter, Growth in Mixed Use DevelopmentsSponsor: Atlantic Builders Convention, March 28, 2012
- Speaker, From Planning to Construction - Hits and Misses: Downtown Redevelopment - What Works and What Does NotSponsor: Downtown New Jersey, June 17, 2011
- Moderator, Implementation, Financial Issues and New Energy PlanSponsor: Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP 5th Annual Real Estate Conference, May 3, 2011
- Moderator, The Future of RedevelopmentSponsor: Atlantic Builders Convention, April 6, 2011
- Panelist, The Legal and Business Aspects of Building GreenSponsor: Atlantic Builders Convention, April 14, 2010
- Sponsor: Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Webinar, June 2009
- Panelist, Land & Power: The Impact of Eminent Domain in Urban CommunitiesSponsor: University of Pennsylvania Institute for Urban Research and the Policy Research Institute for the Region at Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, November 9, 2007
Publications & Alerts
- Co-Author, Make New Friends … But Keep the Old: Important Perspective on New Jersey’s Economic Opportunity Act of 2013New Jersey Builders Association, March 2014
- Co-Author, NJBA-Backed Legislation Could Facilitate Post-Sandy Rebuilding Efforts By Amending Existing NJ Redevelopment Law (S2447)Cutting Edge, newsletter of the New Jersey Builders Association, June 2013
- Author, NJ Attorney General’s Office Limits Effectiveness of ERGG ProgramUrban Land Institute New Jersey Blog, July 2010
- Co-Author, Going Green by Building GreenNew Jersey Municipalities, November 2009
- Rutgers Law Record, Fall 2009
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, August 2009
- Dimensions, newletter of the New Jersey Builders Association, August 2009
- Author, Private Government or Public Policy Tools? The Law and Public Policy of New Jersey’s Special Improvement Districts2008
- Co-Author, Parking MattersDesigning, Operating and Financing Structured Parking in Smart Growth CommunitiesJuly 2006
- Co-Author, Private Governments or Public Policy Tools?International Journal of Public Administration, 2006
- New Jersey Municipalities, April 2005
- Co-Author, New NRD Legislation Offers Protection for Developers and Redevelopers of BrownfieldsGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis Client Alert, April 2005
- Co-Author, Amendments to Brownfields and Contaminated Site Remediation Act Offers ProtectionDimensions, New Jersey Builders Association, December 7, 2004
- Co-Author, Recent Changes in Redevelopment LawAmerican Bar Association Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section Newsletter, November 7, 2004
- Co-Author, Recent Changes in Redevelopment LawGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis Client Alert, Winter 2004
- New Jersey Municipalities, February 7, 2003
- Author, Downtown Living is on the RiseSeniors' Housing News, Summer 2002
- New Jersey Law Journal, March 2001
- August 18, 2014
- June 19, 2014
- --14 Partners Ranked As Leading Individuals--June 12, 2014
- Greenbaum Real Estate Team Represents Developer Jonathan Rose Companies in South Orange Redevelopment ProjectMay 16, 2014
- -- Paul A. Rowe Receives Number One Ranking For Third Consecutive Year --April 1, 2014
- September 6, 2013
- 2013 Chambers USA Guide Recognizes Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis As Leading Law Firm in Four Practice Areas14 Partners Ranked As Leading IndividualsJune 3, 2013
- By Robert S. GoldsmithFebruary 7, 2013
- - 13 Greenbaum Partners Ranked As Leading Individuals -June 13, 2012
- April 12, 2012
- September 20, 2011
- June 28, 2011
- March 24, 2011
- August 31, 2010
- July 7, 2010
- May 3, 2010
- September 22, 2009
- August 3, 2009
- November 25, 2008
- July 8, 2008
- December 20, 2007
- July 20, 2007
- Gallenthin Realty Development, Inc. v. Borough of Paulsboro (A-51-2006)June 15, 2007
- May 10, 2007
- October 9, 2006
- June 29, 2006
- March 29, 2005
- March 24, 2005
Rutgers University School of Law-Newark, J.D., 1977
New York University, B.A., with honors, 1973
- New Jersey, 1977
- New York, 1989
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1994
- Former law clerk to The Honorable Milton B. Conford, presiding judge of the Appellate Division (1977-78); former law clerk to the Superior Court, Appellate Division and Supreme Court of New Jersey