People and businesses may find themselves in significant legal trouble for the first time, which can be both frightening and a bit overwhelming. My greatest satisfaction as a lawyer comes from helping them overcome those problems. In me, they will find a tireless advocate who takes their challenges as seriously as they do.
Mr. Skoff concentrates his practice in complex civil and commercial litigation, with a particular focus on business disputes, real estate and land use litigation, creditors' rights, bankruptcy and other insolvency litigation, business divorces and partnership disputes. He has litigated a wide array of claims in the business and insolvency contexts, including fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, business and traditional torts, fraudulent transfers, preferences, negligent design, and professional negligence. Mr. Skoff has represented a broad range of clients, including joint venturers, startups, partners, banks, large and mid-market businesses, trustees, insurance companies, lenders and special servicers.
In the real estate, redevelopment and land use areas, Mr. Skoff’s considerable litigation experience includes the representation of property owners, developers, landlords, tenants, and other parties in complex disputes related to the interpretation of leases, claims arising out of financial agreements, claims arising from property redevelopment, claims related to environmental contamination, and claims against municipal entities.
Mr. Skoff litigates matters in federal and state courts and before alternative dispute resolution venues, including the American Arbitration Association (AAA) and JAMS. He has also handled matters before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). He has significant experience in the prosecution and defense of orders to show cause and other emergency applications and injunctive proceedings. His experience encompasses all aspects of litigation, from drafting initial pleadings to discovery practice, taking and defending depositions, motion practice, trial, appeals, and the negotiation of settlements.
Honors & Awards
- Listed in Super Lawyers – New Jersey Rising Stars (a Thomson Reuters business) in the Business Litigation practice area (2016 - 2017)
- Recognized as an Empire State Counsel Honoree in recognition of his pro bono service (2015)
- Recipient of an Amicus Curiae Award from the New Jersey State Bar Association for his participation in a successful pro bono appeal to the New Jersey Supreme Court (2014)
- Named a Berrie Leadership Fellow, one of the Top 20 emerging Jewish nonprofit lay leaders in Northern NJ, by the Russell Berrie Foundation, which focuses on training in leadership, nonprofit governance, and fundraising (2011- 2013)
- Recognized in the "36 Under 36" listing of accomplished professionals in the U.S. Jewish community by Jewish Week newspaper (2012)
- Honored as an Edward S. Hennessey Scholar and a Paul J. Liacos Scholar, both in recognition of outstanding academic achievement in law school
Please visit our Award Methodology page for a description of the standard or methodology on which these accolades are based. Attorney Advertising: No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
More Activities & Experience
- Solomon Schechter Day School of Bergen County (former member, Board of Trustees)
- Boston University School of Law Annual Review of Banking and Financial Law, Articles Editor
- Boston University School of Law Jewish Law Students Association (past President)
- While attending law school, participated as a member of the John J. Gibbons National Criminal Procedure Moot Court Team; awarded Best Oralist at an annual competition held at Seton Hall Law School.
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, Healthcare Providers and Hospitals in the Age of COVID-19: A Look at Bankruptcy & Creditors' Rights Issues and StrategiesSponsor: Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP, NJ Hospital Association, NJ Healthcare Financial Management Association, and Medical Society of NJ, December 1, 2020
Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2007
Brown University, A.B., 2002
- New Jersey, 2007
- New York, 2008
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 2007
- Former law clerk to The Honorable Donald S. Coburn, Superior Court of New Jersey, Presiding Judge, Appellate Division (2007-2008)