My practice involves a relatively young area of the law that is still evolving and changing, so keeping an eye out for what’s coming around the corner on the regulatory and legislative front is an important part of my job. That, and the “science” side of my practice area, make it a perfect fit for me.
Ms. Blau counsels clients on a broad range of environmental and energy related matters. Her work encompasses environmental assessments and due diligence for complex real estate transactions and public-private partnerships, regulatory interpretation and compliance under ISRA and other environmental statutes, air and water permitting requirements, contaminated site remediation and brownfield redevelopment under New Jersey’s Site Remediation Reform Act and LSRP program, and underground storage tank issues. She works closely with environmental consultants and engineers to identify potential environmental risks, and in the preparation of technical reports and regulatory submissions.
Ms. Blau has a longstanding interest and particular practice focus with respect to alternative energy, sustainable building initiatives and climate change issues. Her experience includes solar energy and cogeneration/combined heat and power (CHP) projects. She closely follows related legislative and regulatory developments at the state, federal and global levels, and played a role in crafting the New Jersey Energy Master Plan as an engineer with the former NJ Department of Energy. She has also completed coursework in Climate Change Law at Pace Law School, offered as part of its environmental LLM curriculum.
Ms. Blau has degrees in environmental science and mechanical engineering as well as law, a background which enables here to understand environmental and energy related issues, building operational systems and the tools of sustainability from the technical detail perspective. She assists clients with the task of interpreting complex technical data and is able to coordinate the efforts of multidisciplinary teams to achieve project objectives.
- Assisted University Counsel at Montclair State University in the evaluation of environmental issues and associated environmental contract provisions related to the University’s development of a new cogeneration facility and the cessation of existing cogeneration operations.
- Immediate Past Chair, New Jersey State Bar Association Environmental Section
- Co-Founder and Co-Chair, New Jersey State Bar Association Special Committee on Renewable Energy, Cleantech and Climate Change
- Member, NJDEP Site Remediation Program Steering Committee
- Member, Environmental Commission of Township of Springfield, NJ
- Board of Directors, Mental Health Association of Essex and Morris, Inc.
- Former Editor, New Jersey State Bar Association Environmental Section newsletter
- Former Treasurer, Women Lawyers of Union County
- Former Master, Justice Stewart G. Pollock Environmental American Inn of Court
More Activities & Experience
- Climate Change Track coursework, Pace Law School, Environmental LLM curriculum, 2010-2012
- Ms. Blau began her career as an environmental lawyer in private practice before joining the New Jersey Office of the Attorney General, where she represented the Department of Environmental Protection and the Board of Public Utilities. She also conducted her own law practice, The Blau Law Firm, from 2003 to 2006.
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Lecturer, Climate Action and Renewable Energy: Does A New Administration Mean New Directions for New Jersey in 2018?Sponsor: New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, March 12, 2018
- Sponsor: New Jersey State Bar Association Construction Law Section, September 13, 2017
- Sponsor: The Knowledge Group, June 27, 2017
- Sponsor: New York State Bar Association’s Environmental Law Section and Sabin Center for Climate Change Law at Columbia Law School, June 17, 2016
- Sponsor: New Jersey Appleseed Public Policy Forum, March 23, 2015
- Lecturer and Moderator, NJSBA Renewable Energy, Cleantech and Climate Change Committee programsSeptember 2011 and September 2010
- Panelist, New Jersey Environmental Legislation - An UpdateSponsor: New Jersey State Bar Association’s Annual Meeting, May 15, 2013
- Sponsor: New Jersey State Bar Association Annual Meeting, May 2013
- Welcome Address, Recovery & Rebuilding After Superstorm Sandy: Legal Perspectives on What We Know and Where We GoSponsor: joint presentation by the New Jersey State Bar Association, American Bar Association Section on Environment, Energy, and Resources and Clean Ocean Action, April 11, 2013
- Speaker, Clean Energy Meeting the CourtroomSponsor: New Jersey State Bar Association Special Committee on Renewable Energy, Cleantech and Climate Change, January 19, 2013
- Sponsor: New Jersey State Bar Association Renewable Energy, Cleantech and Climate Change Committee and Environmental Law Section, April 4, 2012
- Lecturer, Combined Heat and PowerSponsor: NJSBA Environmental Law Forum, June 1, 2010
- Lecturer, EPA GHG RulemakingSponsor: NJICLE, April 2010
- Lecturer, Copenhagen Post-Mortem: The Climate Change ClimateSponsor: NJICLE, April 1, 2010
- Program Chair and Moderator, New Jersey 2010: The Post-Copenhagen Forecast & How New Jersey is Shaping a Greener EconomySponsor: NJICLE – co-sponsored by NJ Corporate Counsel Association, April 2010
- Lecturer, Regulating Climate ChangeSponsor: NJSBA Environmental Law Forum, June 2009
- Lecturer, Climate Change: New Jersey & Beyond, An Overview & UpdateSponsor: NJSBA Environmental Law Forum, June 2008
- Lecturer, Massachusetts v. EPA: The Supreme Court Takes On Climate ChangeSponsor: NJSBA Environmental Law Forum, June 2007
Publications & Alerts
- Author, NJDEP’s Revised Soil Remediation Standards May Potentially Impact Ongoing or Completed Remediation ProjectsGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, October 3, 2017
- New Jersey Law Journal, July 2014
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, March 2014
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, February 2014
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, February 12, 2013
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, December 2012
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, July 2012
- Co-Author, Sackett v. EPA: U.S. Supreme Court Decision Opens Door for Pre-Enforcement Judicial Review of Compliance Orders Under Clean Water ActGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, April 2012
- The Vapors: New NJDEP Vapor Intrusion Guidance Requirements Include Notification by Property OwnersNJPA Real Estate Journal, December 2005
- At 25, Is Superfund Still the Robust Gorilla it Once Was?New Jersey Law Journal, July 1, 2005
Rutgers University School of Law - Newark, J.D., 1989
City University of New York, City College, B.E.M.E., 1984
State University of New York at Purchase, B.A., 1979
- New Jersey, 1989