I consider myself a passionate client advocate who possesses the ability to devise creative, yet practical solutions to complex legal matters. My goal is always to use my judgment, insight and expertise to minimize risk and meet the business objectives of my clients.
Ms. Montague concentrates her practice in commercial real estate. Her transactional experience encompasses the purchase, sale, financing and leasing of office, industrial, retail, and residential properties. She has handled complex, multistate transactions involving construction and mezzanine financing, leasehold and securitized financing, and mortgage assumptions on behalf of private and publicly-held companies, and has represented landlords and tenants in connection with the leasing of commercial properties. She is experienced in the drafting and negotiation of purchase and sale agreements related to commercial and residential loan portfolios.
Ms. Montague's expertise includes an emphasis on commercial and residential mortgage foreclosure and tax foreclosure. She brings extensive experience to the representation of lenders in foreclosures and loan restructuring with respect to commercial, industrial and residential properties including assisted living facilities, age-restricted housing, multi-unit apartment buildings, and retail and mixed-use properties. Her work includes the prosecution and defense of mortgage foreclosure actions in New Jersey and New York, the negotiation of loan modifications, workouts and strategic restructuring, and coordination with receivers and property managers.
Honors & Awards
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa
- Represented a private investment fund in its acquisition of loan portfolios secured by properties in multiple states, including hotels and healthcare facilities
- Drafted and negotiated an $18 million construction loan from an institutional lender in connecting with an 82,000 SF catering facility
- Represented a global manufacturer of metal components for the automotive industry in the $200 million refinance of a multi-state secured loan facility; retained, managed and coordinated local counsel
- Advised a family-owned business in connection with the acquisition and financing of a 39-unit residential apartment building
- Represented multiple banks and private lenders in the prosecution of commercial mortgage foreclosures in New Jersey and New York, as well as the foreclosure of a reverse mortgage portfolio in New Jersey
- Advised the owner of a retail shopping center in the negotiated settlement of a commercial foreclosure action
- Represented a family-owned business in the refinance and defeasance of a loan secured by a CVS pharmacy in New Jersey
- Represented the landlord in the negotiation of multiple office leases in a 140,000 SF commercial office park, valued from $400,000 to $3 million
- Represented a New York-based not-for-profit corporation in the defeasance of municipal development bonds and refinance with an institutional lender
- Advised a non-profit organization in its purchase of the assets of another non-profit preschool provider, including a 28,000 SF school building
- Prosecution of numerous residential and commercial mortgage foreclosures, condominium lien and tax foreclosure actions, and filing and foreclosure of construction liens
- Member, New Jersey Future
More Activities & Experience
- Rutgers University Law Review
Rutgers University School of Law-Newark, J.D., 1992
Rutgers University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1989
- New Jersey, 1992
- Pennsylvania, 1993
- New York, 2010