David B. Farer, a partner in the firm and Environmental Department Chair, chaired and lectured at the twenty-third presentation of his advanced ALI CLE Course, "The Impact of Environmental Law on Real Estate and Business Transactions: Brownfields and Beyond." The program was presented on April 18-19, 2013 at the American Law Institute CLE Conference Center in Philadelphia, and was also available via live video webcast.
Mr. Farer developed this course for ALI CLE (previously ALI-ABA) in 1988 and has served as its chair since that time. Over the years, this presentation has become a mainstay of ALI's environmental law offerings. The distinguished national faculty included our partner Ann M. Waeger, who has participated as a lecturer for this program since 1995.
The seminar tackled a comprehensive and sophisticated array of issues related to the transactional impacts generated by environmental concerns. The speakers shared a wealth of practical information and strategic insights, incorporating the latest developments in their respective areas of expertise.
Sessions addressed the following topics:
- The latest on Brownfields redevelopment programs and transaction-triggered laws
- Contractual allocation of environmental risks in transactions
- Advanced due diligence strategies
- The expanding role of environmental insurance in the redevelopment arena
- A market update from the insurers
- Sustainable development initiatives
- The EPA's view on Brownfields, vapor intrusion, climate change and global warming concerns
- Disclosure of environmental liabilities, including SEC obligations and auditing
For additional information, please click here.