Lydia C. Stefanowicz, a partner in the firm’s Real Estate Department, will be on the faculty of the “2018 Fall Legal Opinions Seminar,” to be presented by the Working Group on Legal Opinions Foundation on October 29-30, 2018 in New York, NY.
Ms. Stefanowicz will be a panelist for a session on “Current Procedural Issues Related to Opinion Practice on Tuesday, October 30 from 9:50am – 10:40am. Topics to be addressed during this session include:
- Consideration of more detailed opinions
- Simplification through reduction in subjects covered (either by omission or broader exceptions) or even fewer opinion letters
- Addressing limitations on rights of assignees, governing law, jurisdiction for resolution of disputes and liability limitations
- Reduced use of knowledge-based opinions and narrowing of knowledge group
- Increased use of internal review processes and expanded availability of information on opinion practices generally
- Variability versus consistency in law firm opinion practice
- Increased focus on responsibilities of opinion recipients and their counsel
- Greater focus on opinion giver diligence responsibilities
- Consideration of the distinct problems of local counsel
- Increased issuance and use of state bar reports
- Greater awareness of educational problems in connection with legal opinions
Ms. Stefanowicz concentrates her practice in the areas of commercial lending and real estate finance. She provides counsel to both lenders and borrowers in real estate acquisition, construction, permanent mortgage (including CMBS) and mezzanine financings. She has significant experience in real estate workouts and debt restructuring transactions, and represents real estate developers and investment funds in connection with the formation of joint ventures to acquire, develop, construct and manage properties.
Additional information at: https://www.wglo.net/