Emily A. Kaller and Stephanie G. Reckord, partners in the firm’s Litigation Department, will be speakers for the program “Eliminating Gender Bias and Stereotypes in the Legal Workplace,” to be presented as a live webinar by Lorman Education Services on Tuesday, June 28, 2022.
Although men and women lawyers have been entering the legal profession in equal numbers for decades, the number of women partners at mid and large-size law firms continues to hover at approximately 20 percent, with the number of successful women rainmakers far below that number. Faced with this depressing reality, as well as what often appears to be an unavoidable choice between career success and family, talented women lawyers often opt out of large law firms at what should be the prime of their law firm careers. Failing to have policies that aid the advancement of women lawyers not only deprives law firms of the valuable contributions of women lawyers in their leadership but may disqualify the firm from competing for work from certain corporate clients who are demanding that their lawyers be diverse. This information is critical for law firms wishing to provide gender-neutral opportunities for career advancement. This program will help law firms and lawyers recognize hidden biases that serve as an obstacle to the advancement of women and establish policies and practices that aid women's advancement as lawyers, rainmakers, and leaders, both inside and outside of the law firm. Gender-neutral methods for analyzing applications received and how this relates to the hiring and promotion process will also be discussed.
The program agenda includes:
- Recognizing Gender Bias and Stereotypes (aka You Have to Realize What's Broke Before You Fix It)
- Identifying Hiring/Promotion Policies That Inadvertently Perpetuate Gender Inequity
- Identifying Practices and Policies That Hinder the Advancement of Women
- Identifying Stereotypes That Harm Women in the Workplace
- Sponsoring Development of Women Lawyers
- Addressing the Confidence Gap (aka When Women Don't Ask, Ask Them)
- Mentorship/Sponsorship Programs
- Adopting Policies That Foster the Development of Women Lawyers
- Rainmaking/Networking for Women Lawyers
- Recognize Unique Obstacles Faced by Women
- Provide Resources for Creative and Flexible Marketing Plans
- Promoting the Accomplishments of Women Lawyers (and Helping Women Promote Themselves)
Ms. Kaller's practice focuses on commercial litigation. She has experience in the prosecution and defense of financing, credit and other banking matters, contract disputes including those arising under licensing and asset sale agreements, environmental contamination contribution actions, and complex litigation. Her experience also encompasses class action litigation in matters involving consumer claims, alleged securities fraud and personal injury. She currently serves as Chair of the LGBTQ Rights Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association (NJSBA), is a past Chair of the Women in the Profession Section of the NJSBA, and is a past President of the Trial Attorneys of New Jersey.
Ms. Reckord, co-Chair of the firm’s Construction Disputes Practice Group, focuses her litigation practice on complex commercial litigation in federal and state courts. Her representation of clients includes matters in the areas of banking, employment, family law, trusts & estates, class action defense, consumer fraud, construction and commercial real estate. She is a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, co-Secretary of the Construction Law Section of the NJSBA, and a past Chair of the Women in the Profession Section of the NJSBA.
Additional program details and registration on the Lorman website.