Community associations constantly confront a broad spectrum of issues in managing the affairs of the residents of condominiums and other planned communities. There is no shortage of problems and concerns arising from common interest ownership due to use of common facilities and services which are featured in these communities and the shared expenses. The tools to resolve the legal issues faced by these associations span several legal practice areas – business, real estate, litigation, environmental, bankruptcy, collections, administrative law, to name just a few.
GRS&D Partner Christine F. Li will moderate and be a part of the highly experienced panel of community association law experts who will introduce you to the fundamentals of community association law, and give you a foundation and resources to deal with issues confronted by associations, their governing boards, owners, and other professionals, such as managing agents, accountants, and engineers.
A. Christopher Florio, Esq.
Stark & Stark
Caroline Record, Esq.
Berman, Sauter, Record & Jardim, PC
9:00 to 9:40 - Welcome and three topics – Christine F. Li, Esq.
- Statutory and regulatory framework of these communities.
- Governing documents which serve as the cornerstone of these communities.
- Registration with the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs by developers and sponsors of planned real estate developments, and enforcement action by DCA.
9:40 The Basics (approx 15 minutes per topic)
- Transition of control of governing boards from sponsor to owner control, and the role of litigation - A. Christopher Florio, Esq.
- Operations and the relationship of association members, boards and committees, including interpreting documents; understanding covenants, conditions & restrictions; adopting and enforcing rules and regulations; enforcement actions - Caroline Record, Esq.
- Duty and liability of board members -- fiduciary responsibility, insurance, business judgment rule- A. Christopher Florio, Esq.
- Other professionals - the managing agent, attorney, accountant, engineer- Caroline Record, Esq.
- Compliance with laws and regulations impacting association operations – Fair Housing Act, Affordable Housing Regulations, Hotel and Multiple Dwelling Law; Municipal Services Act- A. Christopher Florio, Esq.
- Financial guidance in preparing budgets, establishing and funding accounts, and performing audits- Caroline Record, Esq.
- Delinquencies and collection actions- A. Christopher Florio, Esq.
- Impact of Association activity on the sale and purchase of units - litigation, budget and reserves, FHA/FNMA approval- Caroline Record, Esq.
- Resolution of disputes -- through litigation or alternative dispute resolution- A. Christopher Florio, Esq.
**A 10 minute break will be taken midway through the program