As an attorney, I always try to achieve a positive outcome for my clients by providing zealous advocacy and developing creative, strategic, and practical solutions while maintaining focus on my clients' needs.
Mr. Crimmins concentrates his practice in environmental law and renewable energy. He has extensive experience advising clients on complex transactional and regulatory environmental issues, including sustainable development, permitting, regulatory compliance, and the investigation and remediation of environmental contamination.
Mr. Crimmins provides guidance across the spectrum of federal and state environmental laws. His work encompasses the management of environmental issues in real estate transactions, the oversight of transactional due diligence activities, and the drafting and negotiation of contracts. He assists clients with risk management counseling, obtaining environmental permits, and in achieving compliance with obligations under statutes including the New Jersey Industrial Site Remediation Act (ISRA), the Spill Compensation and Control Act (Spill Act), as well as the U.S. Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA).
Mr. Crimmins advocates on behalf of his clients with regulatory agencies including the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) and coordinates activities with environmental consultants, Licensed Site Remediation Professionals (LSRPs), title companies, insurers and other professionals. He provides representation related to adjudicatory hearings, regulatory inspections and related enforcement actions.
As a litigator, Mr. Crimmins has appeared on behalf of clients in state and federal courts, at arbitration hearings, and before municipal planning and zoning boards. His experience includes cases involving environmental, energy/renewable resources, sustainable development, land use, and real estate issues, as well as resolving commercial and business disputes.
Mr. Crimmins' expertise in private practice has been enriched by the valuable experience he gained as in-house counsel for a leading environmental consulting and engineering firm. His responsibilities in that role encompassed the oversight the regulatory compliance and insurance coverage matters, project management, and the drafting, review and negotiation of contracts associated with a broad range of projects.
Honors & Awards
- Listed in Super Lawyers - New Jersey Rising Stars (a Thomson Reuters business) in the Environmental practice area (2011)
- Archibald R. Murray Award for Public Service (Fordham University)
- Fishawack Finest Award (BSA Scouts Patriot's Path Council)
- In Stahl v. Bauer Auto., Inc., 2019 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 132367 (D.N.J. 2019), obtained summary judgment dismissing CERCLA claims asserted by neighboring landowner
- In Morgan Stanley Services Corp. v. NJDEP, 2011 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 182 (App. Div. 2011), successfully reinstated an NFA determination which had been improperly rescinded by NJDEP
- In Thales v. Tri-Gem Int’l, 2006 NYLJ LEXIS 5061 (Supreme Ct., Nassau County), obtained summary judgment in litigation over an international business transaction
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Environmental Law Section Board of Directors
- NAIOP New Jersey
- Chatham Township Environmental Commission (2012-2014)
More Activities & Experience
- Assistant Scoutmaster, BSA Troop 280, Chatham, NJ
- Merit Badge Counselor, BSA Patriot’s Path Council
Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 2003
Skidmore College, B.S., 1998
- New Jersey, 2003
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 2003
- New York, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York, 2022
- Former law clerk to The Honorable Barbara A. Curran, Superior Court of New Jersey, Civil Division, Hudson County (2003 - 2004)