For the past 30 years I’ve had the opportunity to work with visionary clients in transforming dirt into development. I thrive on the constant diversity of my practice, and have the versatility to handle all components of the development process.
Mr. Firkser's practice centers on commercial real estate and financing. He has significant experience in the representation of developers, lenders and government agencies in a variety of business and commercial real estate transactions and municipal law matters.
Mr. Firkser counsels developers and lenders in the acquisition and financing of commercial properties from contract to closing. His work encompasses the negotiation and drafting of contracts, leases, and closing documents, as well as due diligence and the review and analysis of title issues. He assists clients in redevelopment projects and in obtaining financing and incentives through the New Jersey Economic Development Authority (EDA) and the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac).
Mr. Firkser also represents developers in obtaining and defending approvals for land development, including industrial, commercial, residential and educational facilities. His experience in this area includes researching ordinances for development potential, preparing and presenting site plan and variance applications, defending approvals from court challenges and appealing denials of applications. He has also presented actions for builders’ remedies for the development of affordable housing.
As a commercial litigator, Mr. Firkser has handled consumer fraud disputes, condemnation actions, real estate tax appeals, land use and redevelopment matters, title insurance claims, and complex property insurance coverage disputes.
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rated AV® Preeminent (a trademark of Internet Brands, Inc.) (1999 – present)
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found HERE. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Representation of a developer in the $365 million sale and leaseback of a commercial office complex
- Representation of a mortgage lender in the $225 million Freddie Mac financing of a portfolio of 30+ properties
Representation of a leading multinational commercial bank in the sale and leaseback of its 100,000 square foot office building in northern NJ. The bank sold its land interest and entered a lease transaction to continue its operations in half of the space it previously occupied
Representation of a small business owner in its acquisition of a gasoline service station and convenience store in central NJ. The firm's work on this transaction included determining environmental compliance requirements of the operation, negotiation of a new lease on the property, and obtaining mortgage financing
- Representation of clients in six reported and seven unreported court decisions involving land use issues in New Jersey
- Board of Directors, New Jersey State Bar Association Land Use Law Section
Publications & Alerts
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, March 2017
- Co-Author, New Jersey Supreme Court Expands Municipal Affordable Housing Obligation in Latest RulingGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, January 2017
- Real Estate New Jersey, January 19, 2017
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, March 2016
- Co-Author, New Jersey Supreme Court Puts Question of Affordable Housing Compliance Back in the Trial CourtsGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, March 2015
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, March 2015
University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 1983
Rutgers University, B.A., summa cum laude, 1980
- New Jersey, 1983