Matthew J. Schiller, a partner in the firm’s Real Estate and Redevelopment & Land Use Departments, will be a panelist at the 2019 Opportunity Zone Expo New York, which will be held on Friday, August 9, 2019 from 8:30am – 4:15pm at the Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge in Brooklyn, New York. The firm is also a sponsor of the Expo.
The Expo is part of a national conference series dedicated to Opportunity Zone stakeholders, and will feature a myriad of educational panels presented by industry professionals at the forefront of the Opportunity Zone industry. The keynote speaker will be Scott Turner, Executive Director of the White House Opportunity & Revitalization Council. Mr. Schiller will speak on the panel, “Land of Opportunity: Expert Guidance for Current Owners of Opportunity Zone Property,” from 3:25-4:15pm.
Attending the Expo will help investors maximize their return on investment by providing information on the leading Qualified Opportunity Funds (QOF) on the market, along with targeted legal and tax advice to successfully navigate the Opportunity Zone program. Developers and fund managers who have set up Qualified Opportunity Funds will be introduced to a sophisticated network of capital connections and investors seeking investment opportunities. Project owners seeking operating capital can learn how to form a QOF and connect with knowledgeable tax professionals to get a project started. In addition, government representatives of Opportunity Zone Census Tracts will find a platform to network with project developers and promote economic development in their communities.
The program agenda includes the following scheduled presentations:
- Opportunity of a Generation: Including Opportunity Zones in your Estate Planning
- A Walk Around the Block: What Makes New York Good Places to Invest
- Open for Business: Private Equity in Operating Business
- Staying Focused: OZ Investment Strategy and Financial Tools
- Bulletproof Business Plans: Looking at OZ PPMs & Red Flags
- Capital Completion: Including Opportunity Zone Funds in Your Project’s Capital Stack
- Measuring Social Impact: How the OZ Industry Will View Abuse
- Recent Regulations: Addressing Concerns Brought to Light by the Latest Guidance
- Land of Opportunity: Expert Guidance for Current Owners of Opportunity Zone Property
- Built to Succeed: A Breakdown of How Funds are Structured
Mr. Schiller represents clients in a wide range of transactional and litigation matters throughout New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and elsewhere. His transactional experience includes the acquisition, disposition, leasing and management of office, retail, and industrial properties. With a recent practice focus on Opportunity Zone developments and leasing matters, Mr. Schiller assists clients with the creation of Qualified Opportunity Funds (QOFs) and Qualified Opportunity Zone Businesses (QOZBs) under the Opportunity Zone Program. He is a frequent lecturer and author on topics related to commercial real estate, including Opportunity Zones.
Additional details on the Expo and registration can be found at: 2019 Opportunity Zone Expo New York