John D. North, Chair of the firm’s Litigation Department, will moderate and be a panelist for the seminar “A Day on Evidence,” to be presented by the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education on Friday, April 17, 2020 from 9:00am – 4:00pm at the New Jersey Law Center.
Evidence skills can take years to master. This full day program will give litigators at all levels an opportunity to improve their evidence skills. The course will include a report from members of the New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Rules of Evidence, a presentation on the most commonly used rules of evidence, and presentations covering authentication, hearsay, electronic evidence, expert testimony and demonstrative evidence.
Topics will include:
- Common rules of evidence: This segment will feature a discussion of the most commonly used rules of evidence that every practitioner should have at their fingertips.
- Admissibility and authentication of evidence: This segment will address special concerns for digital and social media
- Hearsay and its exceptions: This segment will focus on recognizing what is hearsay, the exceptions to hearsay, knowing when and how to object to hearsay, as well as how to respond to and rephrase hearsay objections
- Expert Testimony: This segment will include a discussion of New Jersey’s adoption of the “Daubert” principles by our Supreme Court in In re: Accutane Litigation.
- Electronic Evidence: This segment will briefly address where to find electronic evidence and will continue by focusing on how to use electronic evidence once you get it. The speakers will address the use of electronic evidence in the courtroom – the advantages, disadvantages and impeachment.
- Demonstrative Evidence: This segment will feature a discussion of the use of animations and other forms of demonstrative evidence to explain and illustrate expert testimony, and timing the use of this type of evidence.
Mr. North is Chair of the firm’s Litigation Department, where his practice emphasizes trial practice. He has tried jury and non-jury cases in state and federal courts, including over 75 jury cases to verdict. He is certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney and is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. Mr. North’s practice concentrates in commercial and banking litigation, particularly in matters involving negotiable instruments and financial fraud. He is the author of the evidence treatise A Trial Lawyer’s Strategic Guide to the New Jersey Rules of Evidence, and is a principal author of Business and Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts, contributing the chapter in the treatise devoted to Medical Malpractice.
Additional program information and registration details at: A Day on Evidence