Gary S. Forshner, co-Chair of the firm’s Redevelopment & Land Use Department, will moderate and lecture at a live webinar on “COVID-19 and Land Use,” which will be presented on Thursday, April 23, 2020 from 3:30pm – 5:10pm (ET). The program will be sponsored by the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
COVID-19 has affected just about every area of our lives, and land use is no exception. In recent weeks we have been bombarded with new or relaxed requirements. Planning and Zoning Boards are now holding virtual meetings pursuant to DCA guidance in order to keep the land use application and approval process rolling along. Governor Murphy signed legislation regarding the Open Public Meeting Act (OPMA) while recognizing due process, upon which DCA issued additional guidance. Requirements and relaxation of rules for construction permitting, plan review and inspections were issued. And the Governor issued an executive order prohibiting non-essential construction. Additional legislation expected to be enacted is pending as of this writing.
Mr. Forshner will lead the panelists through a discussion of the following topics:
- DCA's Timelines for the Land Use Application Process
- Recommendations regarding filing plans and application materials
- Public notice by municipalities and applicants
- Conducting hearings and facilitating public participation
- How hearing materials should be handled and displayed
- Recording the hearings and requirement for court reporters
- How municipal agencies should conduct remote public meetings hearings in compliance with new guidance under OPMA
- Governor's Executive Orders 103, 107 and 122
- Construction plan reviews and inspections
- Prohibition on all ''non-essential'' construction and permitted exceptions
- Pending (or since adopted) legislation
Mr. Forshner concentrates his commercial real estate practice in the areas of land use, zoning, real estate development and redevelopment. He represents local, national and international developers, property owners and other business clients engaged in mixed use, residential, industrial, office, retail and affordable housing development projects.
Additional program information and registration at: COVID-19 and Land Use