Steven G. Mlenak, Co-Chair of the firm’s Redevelopment & Land Use Department, will be on the faculty for the in-person seminar “Land Use Institute 2022,” which will be presented on Wednesday, December 7, 2022, from 9:00am – 4:00pm by the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, in cooperation with the NJSBA Land Use Section and the New Jersey APA, at the New Jersey Law Center.
The annual Land Use Institute brings together attorneys, planners, and other experts who examine the challenges facing retailers, commercial landlords, builders, developers, tenants, and municipalities. Mr. Mlenak will participate in a segment on Ethics for Land Use Lawyers, which will address the following issues:
- The ethical obligations of a municipal attorney to its client board and public- legal standards v. political realty
- Ethical issues related to remote hearings, email, websites etc.
- SCT certifying appeal of dismissal of malpractice action related to board member conflicts
- Billing fraud issues
Other segments of this full day seminar will focus on:
- Process and issues related to public comment
- Master plan and public input
- Land use process reform- means to improve process efficiency
- Affordable housing updates
Mr. Mlenak concentrates his practice in the areas of redevelopment, land use, zoning, and real estate development. His clients include property owners and developers engaged in mixed use, residential, industrial, commercial, office, retail and affordable housing development projects. Mr. Mlenak provides guidance from the initial project concept through to construction, including land use planning and approvals, permits and variances and appearances before municipal, county and state planning and zoning boards and agencies.
Additional program details and registration on the NJICLE website.