Greenbaum partners Robert S. Goldsmith and Robert Beckelman will be presenters at the Redevelopment Training Institute’s Redevelopment Planning Law Course, offered by the New Jersey Redevelopment Authority. The two-day program is scheduled for September 30 and October 1, 2015, and will be held at the Newark HUD Office in downtown Newark from 9:30am – 4:30pm.
This course on the redevelopment planning law process will provide a broader understanding of the crucial issues, steps and challenges associated with New Jersey’s Local Redevelopment and Housing Law (LRHL). The workshop features a faculty with many of the top planners, attorneys, government officials and consultants from the New Jersey redevelopment arena who will share their real world redevelopment experiences.
The course includes an in-depth review of the legal issues and challenges, discussion about the redevelopment planning process, redevelopment plans and designations, community engagement, redeveloper selection and agreements, and analysis of recent legal and public policy issues on redevelopment such as eminent domain, environment liability and relocation. Topics will include:
- Legal criteria used to make a determination between an area in need of redevelopment or in need of rehabilitation
- Interaction of redevelopment and other required or beneficial governmental action
- What experts, advisors, and support should be brought into the process and when
- Technical requirements of the redevelopment planning process
- How to prepare for public hearings and deal with oppositions
- Community engagement in the redevelopment process
- Redevelopment with, and without, eminent domain, including relocation assistance
- Redevelopment plans and agreements
- Financing, grants, and tax issues in redevelopment projects
- Environmental due diligence
Mr. Goldsmith and Mr. Beckelman will each participate in a panel discussion on Thursday, October 1:
- 9:45am – Non-Condemnation Redevelopment Areas (Mr. Beckelman)
- 11:00am – Financial Considerations, Challenges and Opportunities of Redevelopment Projects (Mr. Goldsmith)
Mr. Goldsmith is Co-Chair of the firm’s Redevelopment & Land Use Department, of which Mr. Beckelman is a member.
To view the complete schedule or to register, click here.