I’ve loved practicing law for the past 40 years. That devotion has been enhanced by the endearing relationship I shared with my partner and friend Arthur Greenbaum. His father, who founded our firm 100 years ago, told Arthur to ‘master what you do’ and Arthur, in both word and deed, passed that on to me as part of his enduring legacy to our firm.
Mr. Goldsmith's practice focuses on redevelopment, downtown and urban revitalization, transit oriented development, project financing and incentives, sustainable building initiatives and public-private partnerships. His experience encompasses counseling clients on the specialized issues in redevelopment related to parking demand, design and construction. Mr. Goldsmith also has broad experience in complex commercial litigation, construction litigation and appellate work.
Honors & Awards
- Listed in Chambers USA (a publication of Chambers and Partners) in the Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use practice area (2006 – present)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© (a trademark of Woodward/White, Inc.) in the Real Estate Law and Land Use & Zoning Law practice areas (2007 – present)
- Selected by Best Lawyers® (a trademark of Woodward/White, Inc.) as 2019 Woodbridge "Lawyer of the Year" in Land Use and Zoning Law
- Listed in New Jersey Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters business) in the Real Estate, Zoning/Land Use and Eminent Domain practice areas (2010 – present)
- Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rated AV® Preeminent (a trademark of Internet Brands, Inc.) (2001 – present)
- Selected for inclusion in ROI-NJ's listing of 2020 ROI Influencers: Real Estate
- Selected for inclusion in ROI-NJ's listing of ROI Influencers Real Estate 2019: Power Players
- Recipient of the Associate of the Year Award from the New Jersey Builders Association (2019)
- Recipient of the Committee Chair Award as Mixed Use Developers Affiliate from the New Jersey Builders Association (2017)
- Recipient of the Chairman's Award from the New Jersey Builders Association for his exemplary service on the NJBA's Land Use & Redevelopment Committee (2016)
- Recipient of a New Jersey Future Smart Growth Award (2009)
- Recipient of the President's Award for Distinguished Leadership in Planning from the New Jersey Chapter of the American Planning Association (2007)
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found HERE. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- New Jersey Supreme Court Cases:
- Gallenthin Realty Development, Inc. v. Borough of Paulsboro, 191 N.J. 344 (N.J. 2007)
- 2nd Roc-Jersey Associates v. Town of Morristown, 158 N.J. 581 (N.J. 1999)
- Mr. Goldsmith was a member of the firm's team that advised an international Fortune 500 retailer with regard to millions of square feet of development in various locales, including redevelopment areas, tax abatement (PILOT) agreements, environmental remediation, redevelopment plans, state, regional, county and local approvals, zoning permits and certifications, miscellaneous agreements, construction permitting, and assisted in drafting leasing provisions.
- Counseled a joint venture between developer Jonathan Rose Companies and JP Morgan Chase on title and construction loan closings for a mixed use redevelopment project in South Orange, NJ. The project will consist of a 215 unit LEED certified apartment building, retail space and a 500+ space parking facility, a portion of which will be available for public use. The firm advised on the transfer of property to our client pursuant to a Redevelopment Agreement previously negotiated by our team, and also negotiated a $38,500,000 construction mortgage loan for the project. The deal represents a major milestone for the project and a significant step forward for South Orange’s downtown redevelopment.
- Mr. Goldsmith has served as Counsel to the Morristown Parking Authority since 1983, leading to broad-based involvement in numerous downtown redevelopment projects in the Town of Morristown. That representation has included involvement in three structured parking facilities creating more than 2,000 parking spaces and leveraging more than $500,000,000 in private sector investment.
- Involved in the development of the “Epstein’s project” in Morristown from 2002 to the present. The project now includes the properties known as 40 Park, the Metropolitan, the 14 Maple Avenue Office Building, Metropolitan Lofts and the DeHart Street Garage, with an approximate value in excess of $300,000,000. Mr. Goldsmith’s services included declaration of the Area in Need of Rehabilitation, creation of the Redevelopment Plan, negotiation of tenant leases, negotiation of complex agreements for parking, access, development and allocation of costs between the Morristown Parking Authority and the private redeveloper, negotiation of contracts for the construction of the DeHart Street Garage and 14 Maple Avenue office building, and the Gold LEED certification for those properties.
- Serves as counsel to Morristown Partnership, a Special Improvement District established in Morristown in 1994.
- From 1978 – 1990, served as special counsel for the Headquarters Plaza Project, a then $100,000,000 redevelopment venture in Morristown, handling all aspects of the negotiations, contracts and litigation relating to the project.
- Served as special counsel to the City of Long Branch with respect to the oceanfront developments of Pier Village and Beachfront North.
- Served as counsel to Matzel and Mumford on the redevelopment project in South Bound Brook, now known as Canal Crossing, consisting of 152 townhomes on the former GAF manufacturing site.
- Represented Thorlabs, Inc. in negotiating the terms for the Redevelopment Agreement, Financial Agreement and financing for the redevelopment of a brownfield site in Newton for its $25,000,000 corporate headquarters and production facility.
- Represented Somerset Development and Avalon Bay in negotiation of complex Financial Agreements for payments in lieu of taxes for residential developments in Wood-Ridge, New Jersey.
- Represented Landmark Properties in the development of the Landmark at Rahway redevelopment project which was recently sold to Roseland Mack Cali.
- Represented KHovnanian in the redevelopment project of the villages at Delaware Run in Trenton, New Jersey.
- Represented KHovnanian in the redevelopment of the site of the former Essex County Psychiatric Hospital in Cedar Grove, New Jersey.
- Represented Somerset Development in successful negotiation of reduction of sewer and water connection fees at former Anchor-Hocking glass manufacturing site in Aberdeen Township, New Jersey, based on former sewer and water usage on site.
- Represented the City of Millville, New Jersey in the creation of the first and only Revenue Allocation District in the State of New Jersey, the precursor to tax increment financing or what is now an ERG Grant.
- Provided pro bono counsel to the Discovery School, a charter school in Newark, in relation to its lease and occupancy in Teachers Village, a dynamic redevelopment project in the heart of downtown Newark. Mr. Goldsmith has been proud to represent this school, which changes the lives of inner city children.
- Served as special counsel for redevelopment to the municipalities of Morristown, Woodbridge, Princeton, Westfield, Millville, Netcong, North Wildwood, Park Ridge, Robbinsville, Chatham and Belmar.
- Provided counsel with respect to redevelopment projects in Woodbridge, Rahway, South Amboy, Jersey City, Morristown, South Bound Brook, Matawan, Dover, Wildwood, Stanhope, Linden, Netcong, Phillipsburg, Trenton, Aberdeen, East Brunswick, West Orange, Bloomfield, Hoboken, Newark, Pompton Lakes, South Orange, Linden and Cranford.
- Guided Newark in the creation of the Newark Downtown District SID, the Bergen Lyons and Clinton SID and the SID funding mechanism for the Greater Newark Convention and Visitors Bureau.
- Provided counsel to Special Improvement Districts in Newark (both Downtown District and Ironbound), Atlantic City, Westfield, Keyport, Collingswood, Jersey City (both Central Avenue and McGinely Square), Haddon Township, Bergenfield, Gloucester City, Teaneck, the Highlands, West Orange, Red Bank, Bound Brook, Seaside Heights, Ocean City, Summit, Rahway, Montclair, Bunker Hill, Hackensack, Freehold, Spring Lake, Boonton, Toms River, Washington, Pompton Lakes, Newton, Cranford, North Wildwood, Wildwood, Millburn, Gloucester City, Hackettstown, Livingston and Springfield, among others.
- Board of Directors and Immediate Past President, Downtown New Jersey
- Board of Trustees, New Jersey Future
- Member, Regional Plan Association; New Jersey Committee
- Member, Urban Land Institute; Northern New Jersey Chapter
- Member, The Counselors of Real Estate; New Jersey Chapter
- Member, NAIOP NJ chapter: former co-Chair, Legislative Committee
- Member, New Jersey Builders Association
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Former member, Main Street New Jersey Board of Advisors
- Board of Directors, Alzheimer's New Jersey, Inc.
- Past President, Rutgers School of Law-Newark Alumni Association
- Former member, Ad Hoc committee of New Jersey Department of Community Affairs focused on Special Improvement Districts
- Former member, New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Civil Practice and Procedure
- Former Editorial Board member, New Jersey Lawyer
More Activities & Experience
- Interviewed by NJTOD on the issue of home rule in the state and how it affects the implementation of Transit Oriented Development on August 19, 2019.
- Developed and taught a redevelopment law course at Rutgers University School of Law, Newark
- Taught redevelopment law course at the Kislak Real Estate Institute at Monmouth University
- Served as an adjunct professor of environmental law in the Graduate Department of Urban Planning and Policy Development at Rutgers University
- Taught environmental law in the Master’s degree program for environmental engineering at the New Jersey Institute of Technology
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, ABC’s of Housing DevelopmentSponsor: American Society of Appraisers and the National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors, November 12, 2020
- Panelist, Economy, Employment, & Transit Oriented Developments: Real Estate Trends for the New Year and New DecadeSponsor: Association for Corporate Growth New Jersey Chapter, March 17, 2020
- Panelist, 2020 Annual Redevelopment InstituteSponsor: New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, February 7, 2020
- Speaker, Legislative and Regulatory UpdateSponsor: New Jersey Builders Association, September 25, 2019
- Sponsor: 2019 Atlantic Builders Convention, New Jersey Builders Association, April 3, 2019
- Speaker, Opportunity Zones – Learn How to Invest, Earn Capital Gains Credits and Stimulate Economic DevelopmentSponsor: New Jersey Future, March 15, 2019
- Sponsor: New Jersey Future, March 8, 2019
- Sponsor: The Knowledge Group, December 11, 2018
- Moderator, Legislative and Regulatory UpdateSponsor: NJBA Conference Area, September 21, 2018
- Speaker, 2018 Atlantic Builders ConventionSponsor: New Jersey Builders Association, April 11-12, 2018
- Sponsor: New Jersey Future, March 9, 2018
- Sponsor: American Planning Association New Jersey Chapter, January 25, 2018
- Sponsor: The Knowledge Group, October 25, 2017
- Sponsor: New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, New Jersey Housing & Mortgage Finance Agency, New Jersey Economic Development Authority, October 5 - 6, 2017
- Panelist, Redevelopment Tools: PILOTsSponsor: NAIOP NJ, April 27, 2017
- Speaker, 2017 Atlantic Builders ConventionSponsor: New Jersey Builders Association, April 4-6, 2017
- Lecturer, The Future of Parking, TodaySponsor: New Jersey Future, March 10, 2017
- Moderator/Panelist, 2017 New Jersey Planning ConferenceSponsor: American Planning Association New Jersey Chapter, 1.26-27.17
- Panelist, Redevelopment Planning Law InstituteOctober 5-6, 2016
- Sponsor: New Jersey Builders Association, June 16, 2016
- Panelist, Planning Law WorkshopSponsor: TransAction 2016: NJ Transportation Conference and Expo, April 12-14, 2016
- Panelist, The Growing Trend of Mixed-Use DevelopmentsSponsor: Atlantic Builders Convention, March 30, 2016
- Sponsor: NAIOP New Jersey, March 22, 2016
- Panelist, Redevelopment Law UpdateSponsor: New Jersey Future Redevelopment Forum, March 11, 2016
- Sponsor: American Planning Association, New Jersey Chapter, January 28, 2016
- Lecturer, Land UseSponsor: New Jersey Judicial College, November 24, 2015
- Sponsor: 100th Annual New Jersey State League of Municipalities Conference, November 19, 2015
- Sponsor: New Jersey Redevelopment Authority, October 1, 2015
- Panelist, The Growing Trend of Mixed-Use DevelopmentsSponsor: Atlantic Builders Convention, March 25, 2015
- Panelist, Getting Started With Downtown RevitalizationSponsor: New Jersey Future, March 13, 2015
- Speaker, The Future of DowntownSponsor: Regional Plan Association, February 27, 2015
- Guest Lecturer, Urban Development ClassSponsor: Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, September 24, 2014
- “Redevelopment in New Jersey – Legal Challenges and New Resources to Achieve Success”Sponsor: New Jersey Housing & Mortgage Finance Association, September 22, 2014
- Welcome Address, Annual Conference: How to Get Feet on the Street – in Your Downtown!Sponsor: Downtown New Jersey, September 12, 2014
- Speaker, Downtown Development– How to Ensure Success through SID Best PracticesSponsor: Downtown New Jersey, May 16, 2014
- Sponsor: Atlantic Builders Convention, March 26, 2014
- Presenter, Redevelopment ConceptsSponsor: Regional Plan Association New Jersey Committee, February 27, 2014
- American Planning Association New Jersey ChapterJanuary 23, 2014
- Panelist, Step One: The Area ‘In Need of Redevelopment’Sponsor: New Jersey Redevelopment Authority Redevelopment Planning Law conference, October 16, 2013
- Panelist, Planning and Redevelopment Tools for Rebuilding the Jersey ShoreSponsor: Downtown New Jersey Annual Conference, May 16, 2013
- Moderator, Newark Master Plan and Zoning RoundtableSponsor: Newark Regional Business Partnership, sponsored by Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis, April 24, 2013
- Moderator, Growth in Mixed Use DevelopmentsSponsor: Atlantic Builders Convention -- New Jersey Builders Association, April 10, 2013
- Sponsor: New Jersey Future Redevelopment Forum, March 1, 2013
- Presenter, Financial Considerations, Challenges and Opportunities of Redevelopment ProjectsSponsor: Redevelopment Training Institute, October 24, 2012
- Presenter, Urban Revitalization and RedevelopmentSponsor: National Association of Independent Fee Appraisers National Conference, October 17-18, 2012
- Presenter, Growth in Mixed Use DevelopmentsSponsor: Atlantic Builders Convention, March 28, 2012
- Speaker, From Planning to Construction - Hits and Misses: Downtown Redevelopment - What Works and What Does NotSponsor: Downtown New Jersey, June 17, 2011
- Moderator, Implementation, Financial Issues and New Energy PlanSponsor: Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP 5th Annual Real Estate Conference, May 3, 2011
- Moderator, The Future of RedevelopmentSponsor: Atlantic Builders Convention, April 6, 2011
- Panelist, The Legal and Business Aspects of Building GreenSponsor: Atlantic Builders Convention, April 14, 2010
- Sponsor: Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Webinar, June 2009
- Panelist, Land & Power: The Impact of Eminent Domain in Urban CommunitiesSponsor: University of Pennsylvania Institute for Urban Research and the Policy Research Institute for the Region at Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, November 9, 2007
Publications & Alerts
- Co-Author, Cheers to Supporting the Arts: New Jersey Makes Liquor Licenses Available to Nonprofit Theaters with 50 or More SeatsGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, February 12, 2020
- Co-Author, Statutory Water & Sewer Connection Fee Credit System Offers Significant Savings for New Jersey RedevelopersGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP 2019 Real Estate Update:Trending Issues & Topics of Interest, March 19, 2019
- Co-Author, Greenbaum Team Assists in the Submission of Application For Medicinal Marijuana Alternative Treatment Center LicenseGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, September 2018
- Co-Author, Governor Murphy Signs Legislation Granting Sewer and Water Connection Fee Credits to DevelopersGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, August 2018
- Co-Author, Investment Incentives in New Jersey’s Newly Designated “Opportunity Zones” Are One Step Closer to RealityGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, May 2018
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, February 2018
- Co-Author, Proposed Legislative Changes to PILOT Programs May Negatively Impact Redevelopment in 2018Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, February 2018
- Real Estate Issues, published by The Counselors of Real Estate, April 2017
- Co-Author, How Self-Driving Cars, Uber, and the Urbanization of America Are Changing the Way Structured Parking Facilities Are Designed, Built and FinancedDimensions, Winter 2017
- Co-Author, Greenbaum Attorneys Successfully Influence EDA Policy Concerning Incentives for the Redevelopment of Historic PropertiesGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, July 2015
- NJBIZ.com, June 15, 2015
- Co-Author, Exploring the Potential Application of “Credits” Towards Water or Sewer Connection Fees in New Jersey Redevelopment ProjectsDimensions, newsletter of the New Jersey Builders Association, Spring 2015
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, April 2015
- Co-Author, Make New Friends … But Keep the Old: Important Perspective on New Jersey’s Economic Opportunity Act of 2013New Jersey Builders Association, March 2014
- Co-Author, NJBA-Backed Legislation Could Facilitate Post-Sandy Rebuilding Efforts By Amending Existing NJ Redevelopment Law (S2447)Cutting Edge, newsletter of the New Jersey Builders Association, June 2013
Rutgers University School of Law-Newark, J.D., 1977
New York University, B.A., with honors, 1973
- New Jersey, 1977
- New York, 1989
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1994
- Former law clerk to The Honorable Milton B. Conford, presiding judge of the Appellate Division (1977-78); former law clerk to the Superior Court, Appellate Division and Supreme Court of New Jersey
“Expertise in permitting and design issues as well as contentious matters … ‘He is a gentleman and knows how to tell you when you are headed down an incorrect path.’ " – Chambers USA 2020
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found HERE. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.