A trial is a lot like baseball. As the legendary Yogi Berra put it, 90 percent is mental, the other half is physical. Trials of healthcare issues often involve technically difficult and emotionally complex information in the attempt to inform and persuade, all as part of the search for the truth of a case. And truth matters, as does the appearance of truthfulness.
Mr. Jackson’s healthcare practice emphasizes litigated matters in judicial and administrative forums, including professional liability claims, licensure and credentialing issues with administrative agencies and health care entities, reimbursement and insurance fraud disputes. He is Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney and has extensive experience in trying jury cases to a verdict.
In addition to trying numerous individual medical liability cases for a variety of healthcare providers, Mr. Jackson was lead defense counsel for a group of New Jersey plastic surgeons sued in connection with the silicone gel breast implant litigation, and has been involved in a number of high-profile mass tort litigation programs for medical devices or healthcare products, including pedicle screws, diet drugs, and Rezulin.
Beyond trial advocacy, Mr. Jackson is an experienced appellate litigator. He served as defense counsel in the New Jersey Supreme Court cases limiting the liability of physicians for suspected exposure to the HIV-virus, and for alleged lack of informed consent regarding abortion procedures. Mr. Jackson has served as amicus counsel for the Medical Society of New Jersey, the American Medical Association, and the New Jersey Hospital Association in appellate matters before the New Jersey Supreme Court and Appellate Division. He has been involved in numerous reported opinions.
Mr. Jackson has handled a variety of commercial litigation issues as well as the defense of qui tam actions under the Federal False Claims Act and insurance coverage and insurance fraud cases. He has represented clients in professional licensure and hospital privilege disputes before state administrative bodies and hospital credentialing committees as well as judicial review through the New Jersey Supreme Court. He has additional experience as a hearing officer for hospital privilege disputes.
Mr. Jackson is the author of over 80 published articles in medical and legal publications on a broad range of healthcare, tort liability and trial technique topics. He has been a member of the Editorial Board of MDAdvisor, a peer-reviewed journal for the New Jersey medical community, since its inception in 2007.
Honors & Awards
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Recipient of the Trial Bar Award from the Trial Attorneys of New Jersey for his distinguished service in the cause of justice (2014)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© (a trademark of Woodward/White, Inc.) in the Commercial Litigation, Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants, and Litigation - Health Care practice areas (2009-present)
- Selected by Best Lawyers®(a trademark of Woodward/White, Inc.) as Newark "Lawyer of the Year" in Litigation-Health Care (2020, 2018); as Newark "Lawyer of the Year" in Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants (2019, 2015, 2012)
- Listed in New Jersey Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters business) in the Health Care, Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Defense, Administrative Law, and Business Litigation practice areas (2005-present); listed as one of Super Lawyers’ Top 100 Attorneys in New Jersey (2010-2011)
- Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rated AV® Preeminent (a trademark of Internet Brands, Inc.)
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found HERE. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Member and Past President, Trial Attorneys of New Jersey
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association; member, Health Law Section; member, Civil Trial Bar Section
- Member, Mercer County Bar Association
- Member, Medical History Society of New Jersey
- Past member, New Jersey Supreme Court Board on Attorney Certification (2008-2011)
- Past Member (1997-2011) and Former Chair (2008-2011), New Jersey Supreme Court Civil Certification Committee
- Past member, New Jersey Supreme Court Board on Continuing Legal Education
More Activities & Experience
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, Defense Research Institute; Medical Liability and Health Care, Drug and Medical Device and Trial Tactics and Techniques Committees
Publications & Alerts
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, May 20, 2020
- Author, Governor Murphy Issues Executive Order 138 Further Extending New Jersey’s Public Health EmergencyGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, May 6, 2020
- Author, Requirements and Standards For Foreign Licensed Physicians To Obtain Temporary Licensure in New JerseyGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, April 20, 2020
- Author, Relaxation of Certificate of Need Requirements for Ventilator Beds And DOH Model Policy for Allocation of Ventilation ResourcesGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, April 17, 2020
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, April 8, 2020
- Author, With Executive Order 112, NJ Waives Regulatory Restrictions on Scope of Licensure for Healthcare Professionals and Provides Broad Immunity from Civil LiabilityGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, April 3, 2020
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, April 2, 2020
- Co-Author, Title III of the CARES Act: Supporting America’s Health Care System in the Fight Against the CoronavirusGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, March 31, 2020
- New Jersey Law Journal, March 25, 2020
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, March 23, 2020
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, March 23, 2020
- Author, Walt Whitman's Healing PresenceMD Advisor, Winter 2020
- Author, The Hornblower Decision and Fugutive Slaves in New JerseyNew Jersey Law Journal, 224 N.J.L.J. 422, February 12, 2018
- MDAdvisor, Fall 2017
- Author, In The Matter of Karen Ann Quinlan After 40 Years: Some Personal Remembrances from the Sidelines of HistoryMD Advisor, Summer 2016
- For The Defense, October 22, 2014
- New Jersey Law Journal, 215 N.J.L.J. 475, February 24, 2014
- Co-Author, Staying Out of the Rabbit Hole: The Entanglements of Altered Medical RecordsFor The Defense, July 2010
- Co-Author, Understanding, Forecasting, and Challenging Penalties Issued by the Board of Medical ExaminersNew Jersey Lawyer Magazine, 244 N.J.L.M. 41, February 2007
- Bioterrorism Preparedness: Isolation and Quarantine IssuesNew Jersey Law Journal, 179 N.J.L.J. 450 , March 21, 2005
Seton Hall Law School, J.D., 1975
Tufts University, B.A. 1972
- New Jersey, 1975
- New York, 2005
- District of Columbia, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1987
- U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit, 2016
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia, 2015
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1975
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 2008
- Former Law Clerk to The Hon. Richard J. Hughes, Chief Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court (1975-1976)