As an undergraduate I studied environmental science, government policy and business. I saw law school as a way of weaving all three disciplines into a challenging, meaningful and productive career. Each day I develop legal strategies to further clients’ business interests in an environmentally principled way.
Mr. Roth has over 25 years of experience in the representation of companies, businesses and individuals in a wide variety of complex environmental, health and safety matters. He assists clients in successfully resolving compliance and enforcement issues that arise under federal and state statutes, including New Jersey’s Industrial Site Recovery Act (ISRA) and Site Remediation Reform Act (SRRA), the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), the Clean Water Act, the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA), and Right-to-Know laws.
Mr. Roth’s practice includes counseling clients engaged in state brownfields redevelopment and other cleanup projects. He works with consultants and experts to develop cost effective strategies for complying with site investigation and remediation rules and guidance, including under the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection’s Technical Requirements for Site Remediation (TRSR) and Administrative Requirements for the Remediation of Contaminated Sites (ARRCS) rules and Licensed Site Remediation Professional (LSRP) program.
Mr. Roth represents clients concerning the environmental aspects of business transactions, such as the purchase and sale of real estate, leasing, mergers and acquisitions, and financing. His role involves assisting with due diligence, negotiating liability allocation and other contract terms, and structuring post-closing agreements dealing with site remediation, engineering and institutional controls, land use restrictions, operation and maintenance, reporting and other long-term requirements and related financial obligations.
Mr. Roth represents owners/operators, generators and other potentially responsible parties (PRPs) in private and government litigation, cost allocation and other proceedings involving the federal Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA or Superfund), New Jersey’s Spill Compensation and Control Act (Spill Act) and other state superfund laws, at federal and state hazardous waste disposal and contamination sites throughout the United States.
Honors & Awards
- Listed in Chambers USA (a publication of Chambers and Partners) in the Environment practice area (2013 – present)
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV® Preeminent (a trademark of Internet Brands, Inc.) (2017)
Please visit our Award Methodology page for a description of the standard or methodology on which these accolades are based.
Attorney Advertising: No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Mr. Roth was a member of the firm's team that advised an international Fortune 500 retailer with regard to millions of square feet of development in various locales, including redevelopment areas, tax abatement (PILOT) agreements, environmental remediation, redevelopment plans, state, regional, county and local approvals, zoning permits and certifications, miscellaneous agreements, construction permitting, and assisted in drafting leasing provisions.
- Mr. Roth played a key role in the firm’s representation of the Camden Redevelopment Agency in its negotiations with the Salvation Army for the remediation, acquisition and redevelopment of a former 85-acre landfill in Camden. The location is now the site of the 120,000 square foot Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center, which has brought employment opportunities, a broad range of recreational facilities and numerous additional benefits to the predominantly low-income local community since opening in October of 2014. Mr. Roth negotiated an environmental remediation agreement for the property. The firm’s attorneys also handled the negotiation of a redevelopment agreement for the project and handled the closing for the sale of the property. Our press release is available here.
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association, Environmental Law Section; Former Director of Section
- Member, New Jersey Builders Association, Environmental Committee
- Member, Hudson Bergen Inn of Transactional Counsel
- Member, NAIOP NJ Chapter; Former Regulatory Affairs Committee member
- Member, Commerce & Industry Association of New Jersey
- Member, Haworth Zoning Board
- Member, Haworth Environmental Commission
- Former Member, Newark Regional Business Partnership Transportation Council
More Activities & Experience
- Member, American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources; Vice Chair, SEER International Environmental and Resources Law Committee Newsletter; Former Chair, Environmental Disclosure Committee (2013 - 2014, 2014 - 2015); Former Vice Chair, Committee Newsletters, Environmental Disclosure Committee (2011 - 2013); Member, Section of Litigation; Former Member, Section of Public Utility, Communications and Transportation Law
- Member, Brownfield Coalition of the Northeast
- Alumni Board, University of Maryland School of Law
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Sponsor: Rutgers NJAES Office of Continuing Professional Education, May 15, 2018
- Sponsor: The Knowledge Group, October 26, 2017
- Sponsor: Rutgers NJAES Office of Continuing Professional Education, May 10, 2017
- Speaker, A Crash Course in OSHASponsor: New Jersey Business & Industry Association, March 24, 2017
- Presenter, The New Hazardous Waste Pharmaceuticals Rule Explained: How to Develop Your Strategy for ComplianceSponsor: BLR—Business and Legal Resources, May 10, 2016
- Moderator, The Latest Developments in the Corporate Environmental/Sustainability Disclosure ArenaSponsor: American Bar Association Section on Environment, Energy, and Resources Environmental Disclosure Committee, June 24, 2015
- Sponsor: Rutgers University – NJ Agricultural Experiment Station, May 13, 2015
- Panelist, Discharge Prevention Program: Compliance in NJSponsor: Rutgers University New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station, May 14, 2014
- Sponsor: Rutgers University New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station, May 21, 2013
- Presenter, Environmental Due Diligence in Corporate and Real Estate TransactionsSponsor: Hudson-Bergen Inn of Transactional Counsel, February 13, 2013
- Speaker, Discharge Prevention Program: Compliance in New JerseySponsor: Rutgers New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station, June 5, 2012
- Panelist, Preparing for Mandatory LSRPSponsor: NAIOP NJ, February 17, 2012
- Speaker, Working With Your LSRPSponsor: Rutgers University Agricultural Experiment Station, December 5, 2011
- Speaker, Environmental Site Assessment & Vapor Encroachment ScreeningSponsor: O’Brien & Gere Vapor Intrusion in New Jersey Seminar, September 20, 2011
- Sponsor: Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP webinar, February 15, 2011
- Presenter, Latest LSRP Program Developments: New Interim Rules, DEP Guidance, Insights, and Practical Tips for Doing BusinessSponsor: Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Webinar, November 19, 2009
- Presenter, The Development and Property Values Impact of Complying with the NJDEP Water Quality Management Planning RulesSponsor: Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Webinar, October 7, 2009
- Speaker on Water Quality Management Planning RulesSponsor: New Jersey State Bar Association Annual Meeting, May 2009
- Speaker on Phase I Site Assessments and Preliminary AssessmentsSponsor: Cook College
Publications & Alerts
- Author, Sole Shareholder of Dry Cleaning Business Found Liable For Environmental Contamination Under New Jersey Spill ActGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, May 2018
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, December 2016
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, July 2016
- Co-Author, EPA’s Three-Part RCRA Hazardous Waste Rx for Retailers: Proposed Regulatory Changes for Pharmaceutical Waste and Generator Requirements To Be Followed by New Retail Sector GuidanceGreenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, November 2015
- Commerce Magazine, September 2015
- Commerce Magazine, May 2015
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, February 2015
- Commerce Magazine, September 2014
- Author, Health and Safety, Prevention and Right-To-Know ReportingNew Jersey Environmental Handbook, Bernan Press, 2014, 2014
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, January 2014
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, March 3, 2013
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, February 12, 2013
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP Client Alert, April 2012
- Co-Author, A Non-Toxic Ounce of Prevention: Notes on Handling Enron-era Environmental InvestigationsNew Jersey Law Journal, December 4, 2006
- Co-Author, Environmental Implications of Utility De-RegulationThe Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, March 1999
University of Maryland School of Law, J.D., 1985
Rutgers University, B.S., 1982
- New Jersey, 1986
- Maryland, 1985
“Earns the trust of the regulator, effectively resolves issues, considers business strategy and is always available." – Chambers USA 2020
Please visit our Award Methodology page for a description of the standard or methodology on which these accolades are based. Attorney Advertising: No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.