As an amateur race car driver, one of the most critical skills I’ve honed is situational awareness, which requires being prepared for rapid changes in the surrounding environment that often come from every direction. I believe that the best lawyers should utilize similar skills, and must always be cognizant of the big picture context and potential pitfalls that surround a particular matter, while simultaneously keeping an eye on the smaller details that will equally impact the matter’s outcome. I make this approach a priority, both behind the wheel and behind my desk.
Mr. McGowan focuses his practice in the area of real estate law. His experience encompasses all aspects of development, redevelopment, land use and zoning, real property transactions, project financing, and the representation of clients on issues related to property management, landlord-tenant matters, and day-to-day business counseling.
In addition to his experience as an attorney in private practice, Mr. McGowan previously served in an in-house legal capacity for a leading New Jersey based commercial developer. In his role as Vice-President of Development and Legal Affairs, he oversaw the development of numerous multi-family residential, retail and warehouse projects, and also assisted the company in navigating a broad range of legal and business challenges. Through this experience, he has acquired a unique perspective and deep understanding of the issues faced by commercial real estate developers and redevelopers, enabling him to take a business-oriented approach to his work on behalf of clients.
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Real Property Trust and Estate Law Section
- Investors Bank, Advisory Board
- Borough of Caldwell, Planning Board
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, Redevelopment and Related Agreements between Municipalities and Private Parties: An Overview of Public Private PartnershipsSponsor: Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP, April 27, 2022
- Speaker, Development Agreements Between Municipalities and Private Parties: Private Funding, Tax, and Infrastructure Issues for Long-Term Development ProjectsSponsor: Strafford, February 23, 2022
- Panelist, Legal Trends in Land Use LawSponsor: Atlantic Builders Convention, October 12, 2021
Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 2005
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, B.A., 2002
- New Jersey, 2005
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 2005
- Former law clerk to The Honorable Harriet F. Klein, Superior Court of New Jersey, Essex County, Chancery Division (2005-2006)