Mr. Louis concentrates his practice in the area of family law. He has over 45 years of extensive experience in negotiating and litigating economically complex divorce cases. He has been broadly recognized by his peers as a preeminent member of the New Jersey family law bar.
Mr. Louis represents clients in all aspects of divorce including asset distribution, child support and alimony, with the goal of achieving a negotiated result but, when required, a fair result after trial. His emphasis is on problem-solving and attaining beneficial outcomes by using creative approaches to achieve a client's goals.
Mr. Louis is the founding partner of Louis & Russell, a boutique matrimonial firm in Toms River, New Jersey. As a prolific lecturer and the published author of over fifty academic articles, he has advanced cutting edge legal issues that have led to the development of unique legal theories and precedent-setting judicial decisions the area of family law.
Mr. Louis is the co-author of the treatise New Jersey Family Law Volume II: Divorce, Alimony & Property Division, which is scheduled for publication in the spring of 2020 by Gann Law Books, a widely recognized and respected publisher of legal treatises focusing on New Jersey law.
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, American College of Family Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© (a trademark of Woodward/White, Inc.) in the Family Law practice area (1993 – present)
- Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rated AV® Preeminent (a trademark of Internet Brands, Inc.) (1997 – present)
- Selected as a Clapp Laureate by the New Jersey Institution for Continuing Legal Education for his contributions to legal education (2006)
- Recipient of the Tischler Award, the Family Law Section’s Lifetime Achievement Award, from New Jersey State Bar Association (1980)
- Recipient of the Young Lawyer Award from the Ocean County Bar Association (1980)
- Leonard v. Leonard, 428 N.J. Super. 272 (Ch. Div. 2012)
- Sculler v. Sculler, 348 N.J. 374 (Ch. Div. 2001)
- Rolle v. Rolle, 219 N.J. Super. 528 (Ch. Div. 1987)
- Kelly v. Kelly, 217 N.J. Super. 147 (Ch. Div. 1986)
- Fried v. Lakewood MUA, 171 N.J. Super. 414 (App. Div. 1979)
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association; Executive Committee and past Chair, Family Law Section; former Vice Chair and member, Judicial and Prosecutorial Appointments Committee
- Member, Ocean County Bar Association; past President; former member, Family Law Committee
More Activities & Experience
- In the 1990s, New Jersey Governor James Florio appointed Mr. Louis as the state bar’s representative to the New Jersey Commission to Study the Law of Divorce. The Commission recommended several new statutes, including Limited Duration Alimony, which was based on an article written by Mr. Louis.
- Through his career, Mr. Louis has been appointed by the New Jersey Supreme Court to serve on numerous Supreme Court committees: Family Part Practice Committee (1982-2012); Special Committee on Matrimonial Litigation; Economic Consequences of Divorce; Family Automated Case Tracking System (FACTS); Appointment of Fiduciary and Counsel Committee; Task Force on the Status of Women; Judicial Education Committee; Mandatory Continuing Legal Education
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Sponsor: New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, February 18, 2020
Rutgers University School of Law, J.D., 1973
City University of New York, Brooklyn College, B.A., cum laude, 1970
- New Jersey, 1973
- Former law clerk to The Honorable Henry H. Wiley, Ocean County