Mr. Louis concentrates his practice in the area of family law. He has over 45 years of extensive experience in negotiating and litigating economically complex divorce cases. He has been broadly recognized by his peers as a preeminent member of the New Jersey family law bar.
Mr. Louis represents clients in all aspects of divorce including asset distribution, child support and alimony, with the goal of achieving a negotiated result but, when required, a fair result after trial. His emphasis is on problem-solving and attaining beneficial outcomes by using creative approaches to achieve a client's goals.
Mr. Louis was the founding partner of Louis & Russell, a boutique matrimonial firm in Toms River, New Jersey. As a prolific lecturer and the published author of over fifty academic articles, he has advanced cutting edge legal issues that have led to the development of unique legal theories and precedent-setting judicial decisions the area of family law.
Mr. Louis is the co-author of the treatise New Jersey Family Law Volume II: Divorce, Alimony & Property Division, which was recently published by Gann Law Books, a widely recognized and respected publisher of legal treatises focusing on New Jersey law.
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, American College of Family Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© (a trademark of Woodward/White, Inc.) in the Family Law practice area (1993 – present)
- Listed in the 2020 Lawdragon 500 Leading Family Lawyers (a publication of Lawdragon Inc.)
- Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rated AV® Preeminent (a trademark of Internet Brands, Inc.) (1997 – present)
- Selected as a Clapp Laureate by the New Jersey Institution for Continuing Legal Education for his contributions to legal education (2006)
- Recipient of the Tischler Award, the Family Law Section’s Lifetime Achievement Award, from New Jersey State Bar Association (1990)
- Recipient of the Young Lawyer Award from the Ocean County Bar Association (1980)
Please visit our Award Methodology page for a description of the standard or methodology on which these accolades are based. Attorney Advertising: No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Leonard v. Leonard, 428 N.J. Super. 272 (Ch. Div. 2012)
- Sculler v. Sculler, 348 N.J. 374 (Ch. Div. 2001)
- Rolle v. Rolle, 219 N.J. Super. 528 (Ch. Div. 1987)
- Kelly v. Kelly, 217 N.J. Super. 147 (Ch. Div. 1986)
- Fried v. Lakewood MUA, 171 N.J. Super. 414 (App. Div. 1979)
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association; Executive Committee and past Chair, Family Law Section; former Vice Chair and member, Judicial and Prosecutorial Appointments Committee
- Member, Ocean County Bar Association; past President; former member, Family Law Committee
More Activities & Experience
- In the 1990s, New Jersey Governor James Florio appointed Mr. Louis as the state bar’s representative to the New Jersey Commission to Study the Law of Divorce. The Commission recommended several new statutes, including Limited Duration Alimony, which was based on an article written by Mr. Louis.
- Through his career, Mr. Louis has been appointed by the New Jersey Supreme Court to serve on numerous Supreme Court committees: Family Part Practice Committee (1982-2012); Special Committee on Matrimonial Litigation; Economic Consequences of Divorce; Family Automated Case Tracking System (FACTS); Appointment of Fiduciary and Counsel Committee; Task Force on the Status of Women; Judicial Education Committee; Mandatory Continuing Legal Education
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Panelist, 2021 Family Law Summer InstituteSponsor: New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, July 27, 2021
- Speaker, 2021 Family Law SymposiumSponsor: New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 1.26-27.21
- Speaker, 2020 Family Law Summer InstituteSponsor: New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, July 21-22, 2020
- Sponsor: New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, February 18, 2020
- Faculty, 2017 Family Law Summer InstituteSponsor: New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, July 25-26, 2017
- Faculty, 2016 Family Law Summer InstituteSponsor: New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, July 26-27, 2016
Publications & Alerts
- Gann Law, 2020
- Author, The Role and Responsibility To Supervise Spousal Agreements: What is Supervisory Control and What Does It Mean?New Jersey Family Lawyer, September 2015
- New Jersey Family Lawyer, December 2009
- Author, The Question of Fairness in PalimonyNew Jersey Family Lawyer, July 2009, July 5, 2009
- January 2009
- Author, Palimony: A New ApproachJanuary 2009
- Author, May A Court Consider Expenses A Spouse Incurs for a Fully Emancipated Child on an Initial Determination or Modification of AlimonyJanuary 5, 2008
- Author, Your Client Demands to Settle But Discovery is Not Complete. What Language Should Be Added to a Proerty Settlement Agreement?January 2008
- Author, Payment of Pre-Martial Obligations Such As Alimony, Child Support, Student Loans, With Marital Funds Is a Factor Justifying A Lesser Distributable Share of the Marital AssetsJanuary 2008
- New Jersey Family Lawyer, May 2003
- Author, An Analysis of Cox v Cox: How to Determine Whether Permanent or Limited Duration Alimony is AppropriateJanuary 2002
- Author, The Far Reaching Impact of CrewsNew Jersey Family Lawyer, December 2001
- New Jersey Family Lawyer, August 2001
Rutgers University School of Law, J.D., 1973
City University of New York, Brooklyn College, B.A., cum laude, 1970
- New Jersey, 1973
- Former law clerk to The Honorable Henry H. Wiley, Ocean County