Having served as a trial judge in one of the busiest courts in New Jersey, I strongly believe that mediation and arbitration are often quicker and more cost-effective routes to fair and final dispute resolutions, and avoid the case backlog that impacts our judicial system in traditional litigation.
Judge Casale focuses his practice on mediation, arbitration, settlement conferences and discovery management. He has extensive experience in the areas of family law, personal injury and insurance defense, which he brings to bear in his representation of clients in complex family and civil disputes, including malpractice and employment litigation matters. His practice also encompasses consultation and trial strategy in child custody, relocation, child support and domestic violence matters.
In 2016, Judge Casale retired from the New Jersey Judiciary following over 20 years of service as a Superior Court Judge in Essex County, serving at the trial court level in the Criminal (1996 – 2008), Civil (2008 – 2011) and Family (2011 – 2016) Divisions. During his long judicial career, Judge Casale presided over a death penalty case, numerous gang and drug trials, negligence cases, medical and legal malpractice lawsuits, employment discrimination matters, commercial litigations, product liability claims, and a wide range of family law cases.
Prior to his service on the bench, Judge Casale represented clients as a litigator in private practice, representing numerous New Jersey municipalities in personal injury defense matters and handling litigation matters for insurance company clients.
Honors & Awards
- Recipient of the 2018 Alumnus of the Year Award from the Bloomfield Educational Foundation, in recognition of distinguished professional achievement
- Recipient of the Peter J. Rodino Award while attending law school
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association; Family Law Section Executive Committee
- Member, Essex County Bar Association
- Member, Barry Croland Family Law Inn of Court
- Member, Brennan-Vanderbilt American Inn of Court
More Activities & Experience
- Assistant Township Attorney, Township of Bloomfield (1991-1995)
- Councilman, Township of Bloomfield (1985-1990)
- Past chairman, Essex County Security and Facilities Committee
- Past member, Essex County Judicial Pension and Salary Committee
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Sponsor: Lawline, June 11, 2018
- Presenter, Divorce ProgramSponsor: Volunteer Lawyers for Justice, May 10, 2018
- Panelist, 2018 Family Law SymposiumSponsor: New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, January 27, 2018
- Presenter, New Jersey Motion PracticeSponsor: Lawline, August 14, 2017
- Sponsor: New Jersey State Bar Association, May 17-19, 2017
Publications & Alerts
- New York Times, May 1, 2009
Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1981
University of Connecticut, B.A., cum laude, 1978
- New Jersey, 1981
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1981
- Former law clerk to The Honorable Nicholas J. Scalera